DCC and DC

"Mark Newton"

And they're dull, dull, dull. God how dull.

Running trains through eye candy.

Dull, dull, dull.

Now, if you could shunt properly, if the signals worked properly, if you could run round your train at the end of the line, if you could change ends on a multiple units or diesel consists, if there was a consequence for over running signals, if there was opposing traffic on both double and single track, in other words, if they were realistic, then yes, they might fun.

But they're not!

They're dull, dull, dull.

I gave away both MSTS and Trainz within a month or so of getting both.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Then it's more closely linked than you think, after all, you sir are simply pushing sophisticated metal and plastic toys around...

One mans toy is another mans model, one mans game is another mans simulation.

Let's put some perspective in this shall we...

We're simulating and modelling railways, both of us, the mere fact that you are using plastic and metal while I use pixels is wholely irrelevant, the end result is that we can see, enjoy and operate railways from our minds, our present and our past, does it really matter what kind of toy we manifest it with?

I need to put in precisely the same ground work to construct a model in pixels as you do in metal or plastic, perhaps more so than some because there's no such thing as kits - everything is scratch built.

If I want to build a route I need to research the route just the same as you would if you were building a model railway version, one guy has spent the last three years building a stunning model of the Swindon-Highworth Branch (6 miles) for example but the result can be compared very strictly with photographs of the original.

*sigh*

Oh well, you play with your toys, I'll play with mine!

Matt. Webmaster, UKTrainSim

Reply to
Matthew J. Peddlesden

Perhaps you just didn't look around enough...

MSTS: No problem, with the 1.2 patch and properly modelled stock front and rear coupling both work fine. There are numerous shunting routes available and my own route is an Inglenook / Timesaver combination, tons of shunting with anything from a little 0-4-0 Inglis industrial shunter to a Class 92.

Trainz: Again, no problems with it there, even less than MSTS has since it's never had a problem with front/rear coupling.

Can't speak for Trainz as it's not my forte on this one but I am not aware of any significant issues with the signalling that the community has developed for MSTS - the stuff it comes with is pretty appalling but then everything it came with was, the signals were a minor part of its appalling content. The community has developed a wide range of signals covering somersalts, upper and lower quadrants, colour light signals and so forth. Junction indicators, feathers, they're all working. Complex and fully functional signalling is quite achievable.

from Highworth Branch sitting at Swindon)

Both Trainz and MSTS permit you to do this, no problem. There are lots of branch lines modelled on MSTS that require this and it works without a hitch as long as you have the 1.2 patch installed to cure the front coupler problems.

Trainz does, MSTS does not i'll grant you, though people have worked around it for both cases in MSTS.

Front view of an AL6:

View out the other side of the AL6:
(images from BlueArrow 'Electric Heritage' pack)

It's a work around, but it works very well.

In MSTS it ends the activity immediately if the route is configured such, pretty dire consequence if you ask me. Trainz depends on how the scenario has been developed, without a scenario it's just a glorified model railway, where there are also no consequences for overruning a signal.

Yup that's easily possible on both as well, in fact I worked on the Severn Valley Railway add-on (single track, 16 miles) for MSTS and made lots of effort to put quite a bit of oncoming traffic on the route - more often than is prototypical will you be forced to wait for a train coming in or see a train waiting for you to clear the line. True, MSTS isn't overly elegant because it doesn't handle token operation but there's more than one way to crack a nut.

When the route is multi-lined oncoming traffic is a doddle and MSTS handles this with great ease. You can be shunted in to a siding and made to wait on a red for a train that wellies past you, you can introduce elements whereby if the driver runs too slow they will get caught out behind a slow moving train and have to chase ambers for a while.

Some examples, principally from commercial add-ons since those are the only screenshots I have to hand - suffice to say that frankly the freeware stuff is a lot better but even so...

from West Somerset Railway add-on)

brighton add-pack)

brighton express)

express)

Trainz it's also quite possible on since you can run as many trains as you want and control all of them in a session.

There's an awful lot possible with both products.

Still not sure where they are lacking realism.

somerset railway)

somerset railway)

express)

As have a lot of people we speak to at exhibitions, quite a few of which are standing there with there jaw on the floor looking at what the UK (and overseas) communities have done with the original product (MSTS in this case, I don't personally like Trainz for other reasons!). Many of whom then go and find someone in the exhibition selling it (since we don't, we go to exhibitions to talk and show, not sell and make money).

Matt. Webmaster, UKTrainSim

Matthew J. Peddlesden

(snip)

Yes, I think that we should agree to disagree on this issue.

Reply to
Mark Newton