DCC and DC advice

"Adrian" wrote

Yes, the LH30 hand-held. I've got two connected to my Compact.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

So what would I miss on the Compact, over the Set 100?

If you have say, addresses 1 to 20 in use, you have to scroll through rather than punch-in the address?

What about setting CVs? I have an early Hornby 50, so I'd either need to send the board back or install the decoder backwards and change a CV to make it go in the right direction - is that still possible on the Compact?

I quite like the idea of connecting a computer (I have several 200MHz PCs at work which are otherwise destined for the skip). Can the Lenz PC interface be connected to the Compact?

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

It seems to be the easiest way and the price is not unreasonable.

Mark Thornton

Reply to
Mark Thornton

If only the UK prices would fluctuate (with some damping) to keep pace with the exchange rate. The Digitrax Xephyr is $147.95=~£77 (plus delivery) from

and £130 from SCC. I don't know how much import duty may have to be paid and there's always the support considerations, but very tempting.

Matthew

Reply to
Matthew Wild

You can scroll through all 100 addresses in a few seconds. I currently have engines numbered 1, 4, 6 and 87

Yes.

Yes, however it can only be used for controlling locos or points not for programming. Other features missing on the Compact are:

1) Programming on main. So you can't change the accel/decel values after coupling to 50 trucks. 2) RailCom --- feedback from the layout to a computer system. This allows the computer to determine where the locos really are and how fast they are going as well as other information.

What do you expect to do with the computer connection. It could be used to provide additional throttles or control points. In my opinion a better way to control points would be to use something like the Roco Point Control Unit (which is apparently compatible with the Compact). Much as I like using computers I can't come with a convincing reason to do so here.

Mark Thornton

Reply to
Mark Thornton

I don't have anything particularly in mind. I just have a stack of PCs to dispose of and hate to see perfectly good - if underpowered by todays standards - PCs get thrown away. Additional throttles would be OK and as a programmer, I could probably write something custom to control points from a schematic...

Well I'm vering towards buying a Compact. A second handset will be on the cards soon after - controlling 3 running lines and a shunting area all at once might be a bit difficult with just one....

John Turner mentioned the limitation of 2.5amps - I don't often double-head trains, so am I likely to have problems running 4 trains at once?

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Duty is currently 14%, then there is VAT at 17.5% on top. So that comes to £103.14 plus carriage and possibly plus a charge from the carrier for collecting the duty and vat from you. The duty is increasing by 1% every month until March 2005 when it will be 17%. Before the current 'war' started the duty was 0.75%.

After delivery, duty and VAT the Zephyr is significantly more expensive than the Lenz Compact and I don't think the extra capability (4 digit addresses) is worth the extra --- at least not to me.

Mark Thornton

Reply to
Mark Thornton

In message , Mark Thornton writes

I thought that "war" was over.

Reply to
John Sullivan

Yes, but you can ONLY operate a train with it - the Compact does NOT support decoder programming or feedback through the computer interface. The Digitrax Zephyr DOES support programming _and_ readback through a computer interface such as the LocoBufferII, SPROG, or MS100.

For more info re: using a computer with DCC, join the JMRI group on Yahoo:

Joe Ellis

"Mark Thornton" wrote]

I believe duty is currently 8% and VAT 17.5% - the trade war escalator has been abandoned following settlement of the dispute with the USA. However, there's a risk of a significant additional charge being levied by the carrier to cover their collection costs.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Have you seen:

'Railroad & Co.'

'SPROG'
'JMRI'

Chris White

I vaguely recall the carrier charge for collection of duty being arround £8 with Royal Mail 8 -12 months ago.

the total cost (all in ) went from around £100 to £135......

Craig

Reply to
Craig Douglas

The charge from the likes of Federal Express can be a lot higher (> £20 I believe). It very much depends on which carrier is used.

Mark Thornton

Reply to
Mark Thornton

Mark Thronton wrote:-

Indeed. I got clobbered by Parcel Force with a minimum charge of £13 for CD's sent from Japan via EMS. It was actually cheaper to have them sent individually by registered air mail direct from Tokyo. Anyone thinking of importing N-gauge items from Japan should bear this in mind. Parcel Force are at least willing to deliver charged items direct to my door which Royal Mail refuses to do.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

You need to check the current draw of the engines you use, Heljan 47's will take an amp when working hard and older Hornby locos and Wrenn engines take similar current. Modern Hornby and Bachmann peak at about

1/2 an amp, true for Q1 and BoB that I have.

Chris

Reply to
Chris