DCC modification

Has anyone attempted to fit a DCC chip to a Mainline Royal Scot. It appears that the power is supplied via the mechanism body and I cannot see how it can be changed. Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
John Culyer

"John Culyer" wrote

Yes, Mainline locos can be chipped. The following link will show you how to chip a Mainline/Bachmann 03 diesel shunter. The same principle applies to the Royal Scot, there's just the question of dismantling & reassembling the valve gear to add.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"John Turner" wrote

You may be able to ease the cylinders away sideways from the two block halves and then drop the wheel set and motion away without any further dismantling.

DW

Reply to
David Westerman

In message , John Turner writes

Thanks for that. However the power for the motor is taken to the brush contacts directly form the two metal halves of the chassis. One contact has a long screw and one a short screw, the same screws being used to hold the motor plate to the body. I therefore cannot see how to isolate the brush contacts. Hope I have explained this properly. Cheers.

Reply to
John Culyer

"John Culyer" wrote > However the power for the motor is taken to the brush contacts

You need to enlarge the hole in the brush contacts so that they can be bushed with plastic. Wrenn loco wheel bushes are ideal but as rare as hens teeth these days. Perhaps you could use a plastic washer and some insulation material off a piece of wire. Good luck.

DW

Reply to
David Westerman

In message , David Westerman writes

Thanks for that, Don't know if my skills are up to it but I might give it a try.

Reply to
John Culyer

In message , David Westerman writes >

Personally, I think hat it is easier to remove the brush spring depression plates, superglue the thinnest possible plasticard to the brush spring region -- sufficient to form a square in the spring region, the size of the width of the arm. To this glue a similar size square of thinnest phosphor bronze strip. Do this in two distinct operations to enable proper drying of the adhesive.

You can now solder the input wires for the chip to the arms and the return motor wires from the chip to the edges of the phospher bronze square or if you fell confident put a small blob of solder in the centre of the square to help locate the spring end.

All this can be done without taking away anything more that the body.

Regards

Reply to
Peter Abraham

From the above, would soldering small pieces of double sided printed circuit board be easier than the plasticard and glue ? Solder the PCB to the brush arms to act as insulators, and connect chip wires as you suggest.

Note that I have never seen the inside of this loco.

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

Thanks to you all I now have a few ideas to try.

Reply to
John Culyer