Derailments

What usually causes derailments on older track?

I've been cleaning some and the test train kept derailing at curves. The only obvoius thing was the uneven surface the track was on.

Reply to
EverettPet

The uneven surface the track is on :-)

Seriously, though, I would lay odds on that that is the root cause of your problem. Track does need to have a good, flat base if things are to run well on it..

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Are the wheels clean and true?

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

Cheers Jim - I'll look for a better surface!

Ken, the wheels are definately clean and I assume they're pretty true as it's only been run a couple of times from new! (It's the Bachmann Super Voyager)

Reply to
EverettPet

Newer models have finer-scale wheels and are more likely to be affected by minor track misalignment. Get a better surface and/or newer track.

Reply to
MartinS

Ah, right! I've found that the Super Voyager is a right pain to get working - it doesn't seem to run well on anything :( If you could post back here if you discover what must be done to the track to get it to run, I'd be grateful!

Cheers

Reply to
James Hancock

I've found that straight track presents no problems.

I'll have a look at the wheels because I feel they are closer together (not close enough to the rails) compared to other stock.

I also think the tilting mechanism makes cornering worse!

Reply to
EverettPet

Phil: To improve mine, I've added lead to each bogie (with an insulating layer to the axles), but still get problems with the bogie behind the power car ( the trailing coach/bogie, whichever disrection the unit is running, or however many coaches conected) when it comes out of a bend, and 'should' straighten up - it appears as if the spring is too strong and lifts the bogie to keep it close to the body! Whereas my non-super voyager, pendolino, and old APT run without problems.

Reply to
Phil

As there was a bit of sunshine this afternoon I did a bit of experimenting with the Voyager.

I think the coupling mechanism and the length of the body is to blame for most of the drailments. The wheel spacing is the same as other trains and the wheel base (on single bogie) and distance from the bogie centre to centre of coupling is only 2mm more than my good running Bachmann 158.

for ramblings on and photos

Reply to
EverettPet

Definitely. The reverse curves with no transition are pretty severe for coaches of this length with body-mounted couplings. Would this be a typical situation on a permanent layout?

Reply to
MartinS

I hope not. In my opinion it's a definite no-no.

Reply to
Erik Olsen