Design software

The free version is fully functional, but limited to 50 pieces of track.

Yes, but if you're really tight (I was at first!) you just do your design in

50 piece sections - if your plans are that large!

Steve

Reply to
Griffo

: If you want one for curves, then Templot is your application. It's : quite a complex beast to get your head round and I know that a few : people have given up on it because of this. But it is soon going to : be free to download and use, so might be worth a punt.

It would seem that Martin's business model, not having a 'crippled' (no print and/or save) preview software for pre purchase testing, seems to have been his un-doing. Whilst he might well have lost sales from those who were not prepared to splash out getting on for 50 GBP on software that might not have suited their needs (there being no refunds), the more problematic [1] issue seems to have been -in Martin's own words- all the very basic support requests he was receiving and because he had charged for the software he was duty bound to reply to, many of these people probably would never have bought the software had they been able to play with a preview copy [2]...

Martin and myself crossed swords many times on this very group regarding aspect of his business model, I won't go over it all again (Google is your friend if you want the gory details), what I will say is that I am pleased that he is planning to make Templot available (as Freeware?) together with the ability to make a donation to aid further development - my only problem now is whilst I have no problem in making such a donation I do have every problem in doing so via (IMO a very un-trust-worthy) Pay-Pal. Sorry Martin, in time, another payment method perhaps... :~(

[1] also the use of a machine-number derived unlock key seems to have also caused him, and those with genuine copies and reasons why they need to move the software between computers, a lot of extra grief [2] Templot, like most fine scale modellers, uses the correct terminology for trackwork, not train-set/RTR terms, so one either needs to understand these or be prepared to educate yourself
Reply to
Jerry