Disassembling a Bachmann 66

Trying to get the Bodyshell off a Bachmann 66 - so far without luck. I'm trying the 4 screws either end of the fuel tank and though they seem to be turning I'm not getting anywhere. Is there anyone who's removed a body from one of these yet?

Reply to
Ian Birchenough

"Ian Birchenough" wrote

Yes, I've removed two without diffiulty BUT I know others are having the same problem as you. Are you sure the screws are turning, because the problem I've heard reported is that the screws are too over-tightened in the Bachmann factory.

It's been suggested elsewhere that a spot of plastic friendly lubricant in each of the screw holes and left for ten minutes or so has been helpful is allowing the screws to be loosened.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In message , John Turner writes

As far as I can tell they're turning, but as the holes are so deep and the screws so small its hard to tell. I'll try a drop of Electrolube and see how that goes.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Birchenough

In message , Ian Birchenough writes

John, Point to be aware of - when you've unscrewed the 4 fixing screws they don't drop out and the bodyshell is still held on by clips in the middle at the ends. a slight flex of the chassis at the end will free the clips and the end comes free. You have to repeat this at both ends to get the case off. I didn't need electrolube - the screws had come undone, it was just the body clips stopping the shell from coming free.

Reply to
Ian Birchenough

"Ian Birchenough" wrote

Interestingly I didn't have any problem with the clips, although I may have inadvertently disengaged them. Others have commented that they have been unable to loosen the screws at all, suggesting they were fitted much too tightly, and it was to ease that problem that the suggestion of lubrication was aimed.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

lubrication

I've just taken one apart today - the screws are different at the two ends........... The end with the silencer has slightly shorter screws. They're actually the same screw but have been shortened by liberal use of a cutting disc!!!!

I haven't run it round a test track yet, but the bogie pivot seems a bit dodgy - I'm not certain that it will like turning on anything less than

*very* flat track. There seems to be very little allowance for fore/aft rocking, whilst the bogie pivots.

Hoping to test it tomorrow night.

Cheers, Mick

Reply to
Mick Bryan

"Mick Bryan" wrote

Interesting! The two I've disassembled both had four identical screws.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Maybe that's why some people have had a bit of trouble with the "longer" screws getting jammed from being screwed in too far............ The screws are only shorter by about 1.5mm

Cheers, Mick

Reply to
Mick Bryan

"Mick Bryan" wrote