Eastleigh100 Open Weekend Update

Eastleigh100 UPDATE:-

Today, March 4th, The Railway Magazine April edition is published and contains the first coupon and codeword for special offer tickets for RM readers. Once in possession , tickets can be bought online , by entering the codeword, or they can be bought by post with the coupon ( photocopies are acceptable). You will not be able to buy a discounted ticket without a valid code which can be found on the coupon.

Simply, credit/debit cards via web, cheques via post with coupon.

A further different codeword will appear in the RM issues dated May and June. All are valid and only one is required.

Updates about the Event of the Year at

traction

uk.railways is that way Sir ===>>>

Reply to
Jerry

: Once in possession , tickets can be bought online , by entering the : codeword, or they can be bought by post with the coupon ( photocopies are : acceptable). : You will not be able to buy a discounted ticket without a valid code which : can be found on the coupon. :

Oh right, so by the sounds of things if you want discounted tickets and can buy on-line: pop into your local WHSmiths, take a gander at the relevant mag and make a note of the codeword, order on-line...

The words up, brewery, couldn't and piss come to mind - never mind 'spamming bastard!

Reply to
Jerry

The message from "Jerry" contains these words:

Do you not have an interest in railways? Eastleigh is a bit far from here, but I would certainly go to a similar event at Crewe. The post is certainly on-topic for u.r.m.r. - I'm sure you must have noticed the "railway" connection.

Reply to
David Jackson

and just how will you bring your discount ticket(s) with the coupon , or copy to the entrance on the day?...

Reply to
traction

: : Do you not have an interest in railways? Eastleigh is a bit far from : here, but I would certainly go to a similar event at Crewe. The post is : certainly on-topic for u.r.m.r. - I'm sure you must have noticed the : "railway" connection. :

This is a MODEL RAILWAYS group, the last time I walked through the workshops at Eastleigh they were working to a scale of 12" or the foot! Duh...

I'll grant you, there might well be model railway stands attending but it's not primarily a model railway exhibition, it's a slippery slope if you think that anything with a railway theme is on topic, next we'll have adverts for Eurostar tickets or coach trips that are travelling along the M6 in the Shap area...

Reply to
Jerry

: > The words up, brewery, couldn't and piss come to mind - never : > mind 'spamming bastard! : >

: and just how will you bring your discount ticket(s) with the coupon , or : copy to the entrance on the day?... :

But I was talking about ON-LINE sales, or are you saying that the on-line tickets are only valid at the gate if accompanied with the magazine coupons? On that theme, if coupons are required to be shown either way to get the discount (and as you state photocopies are valid) how are you going to stop the 'five thousand' from photocopying the same mag?

Good idea but you've left yourselves open to abuse and complaints - are 'The Railway Magazine" sponsoring the event and thus offering a discount to those who buy their mag or are you singling out such people?

Reply to
Jerry

You don't. It's a classic scheme to make people think they are getting one up on somebody or cheating the system, and getting a bargain. Even major high street chains are using "viral vouchers" these days, or were before the "credit crunch".

It's also a good dragnet for collecting personal data that can then be used for "marketing" purposes. I have no doubt anyone filling in a coupon will receive a subscription offer from the magazine, if they forget to tick the opt-out box.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

See the thread 'Jerry - what is wrong with him?' started on 11 January and afterwards for the background of this poster...

Reply to
traction

: It's also a good dragnet for collecting personal data that : can then be used for "marketing" purposes. I have no : doubt anyone filling in a coupon will receive a subscription : offer from the magazine, if they forget to tick the opt-out box.

So why not just offer a discount for any on-line sales or advance postal applications, what I was questioning is what the relationship is between the organisers and the magazine as the offer is magazine specific IYSWIM - yes, targeted marketing by The Railway Magazine (for subsidised/free advertising if not event sponsorship) does make sense but the organisers should be up-front what ever the reason.

Reply to
Jerry

What! Jerry the righteous , lost for words....

Reply to
traction

We know more than enough about his background. Some of us try to ignore him.

Reply to
MartinS

The message from "Jerry" contains these words:

I had noticed the ng title, but without 12" to the foot railways there would be no model railways, and without a knowlege of "the real thing" the model scene starts to become less and less like the railway we see when we travel by train.

Reply to
David Jackson

: >

: > See the thread 'Jerry - what is wrong with him?' started on

11 January : > and afterwards for the background of this poster... : : We know more than enough about his background. Some of us try to ignore him. :

MBQ, this is exactly what I meant about showing respect, you expect me to give w*nkers like "Matrtin S" respect when they post crap like the above?...

Reply to
Jerry

On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 20:51:41 GMT, David Jackson said in :

To be honest the OP was distinctly on the spammy side for my taste; I have no objection to information about preserved and other rail events, for exactly the reason you state (I used to work in Didcot, y'know), but actual advertisement copy is a bit much. If the OP had said the same thing in about a third of the words it would have been better.

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

The message from "Just zis Guy, you know?" contains these words:

I fully agree, but I was really commenting on the dismissal of a railway-related post as being unsuitable for this ng. My point of view (might be wrong for others) is that the more we know about our prototype, the better our modelling can be, so events where we can get really close to "the railway" are to be welcomed.

Reply to
David Jackson

Its past your bedtime now Jerry, give mommy a call to come and tuck you in bed now, you've got to be up early to get that special institution tomorrow.. Have a nice day.....

Reply to
traction

The FAQ suggest less than 30 lines for such messages, and that is a lot less than 30 lines- or are we now saying we want that changed?

Reply to
traction

Well no, more important see the thread that has useful information as to why we should ignore your spam. Thanks for the warning Jerry.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon