Ebay Rant

I've always taken Ebay sellers on the principle that the more exhorbitant the postage costs, the more dodgy the seller. But I dont understand John Turners moan about people on Ebay selling things for higher prices than retailers could dream of. It is only an auction. No one is forcing anyone to buy. So, why not sell items on Ebay yourself? After all, Rails of Sheffield seem to be doing quite well.

Reply to
Jon

"Jon" wrote

I wasn't moaning, just responding to someone who claimed that many private people were selling at cost, when the reality is often quite different.

I don't use eBay, I don't see the point of having a model shop and not giving my regular customers the option of buying used items at a fair price, governed only by the price I have to pay for an item.

Sure I could possibly make more money by selling stuff on eBay, but if I did that I might as well shut the shop.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Looks like I should change my name. too many jons.

Reply to
Jon

No. This is the paragraph I meant.

"Yes and I know there are (supposedly private) sellers on eBay who are buying goods expressly to resell at a profit, and a very handsome profit (far in excess of what any regular retailer could hope to make) and still wanting to screw the buyer for post & packing costs."

I still dont see how people can buy to resell at a very handsome profit unless they know there are buyers out there willing to pay that amount in a bidding war, but wont pay that price in a shop. If that is the case then you cant complain really, because if the eBay sellers have targeted people who are that stupid, and charge (say) £2.50 per wagon postage, then they have been pretty smart.

I sold some railway videos a year or two ago, and was amazed that a couple went for a higher price than they could have been bought brand new at a few well known mail order outlets, but I had no control over the price and surely that is the gamble of auctions. If you get 2 or 3 people who want the same item, then the price will rocket, but if a shop sells an item that 2 or 3 people want it is just first come, first served, the price is fixed and the other 2 people do not even get a chance.

Reply to
Jon

"Jon" wrote

Again I'm not complaining, just making a comment.

The difference is that if I were to price items in the shop at the sort of level some items achieve on eBay I'd be classed as a rip-off merchant.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In message , Ian Bartlett writes

I don't see why people don't just weigh the item, get the equivalent cost of the Post Office website, and add a few pence for wrapping. Works for me, have had no complaints about postage charges.

mjh

Reply to
Mike Honeyman

That's what I did, packed the goods and got it weighed then asked the buyer if they were happy with the charge. 1 asked if he could supply the packing and postage and sent me a jiffy bag with stamps on.

Problem sorted

Reply to
old git