UK modellers - HLJ & VAT + Import Tax question

Hi,

I intend on ordering a few items from HLJ, which will have a value over the £200 mark. A search of groups.google.com turned up a few stories of customs charging what they want for import tax & vat. Is there any truth in this?

My main question is that seeing as though HLJ always put the value in yen on the box, and I can prove how much I paid for the items from emails/hlj.com/credit card statments, can I demand that I pay the correct vat and import tax, and not some willy nilly amount dreamed up by customs?

Regards,

Duncan

Reply to
Great Deku Tree

No. Well, not legally, obviously. It just seems that way... First they apply Import Tax. Not sure how much that is, but then, AFTER that increase in value, they apply VAT, luxury rate for toys (as they see them) of course. In my experience, the total is close to a third of the value added to the price marked.

Strangely, the biggest and most expensive boxes I was ever sent were NOT stopped (from NKR models in Australia, a 1/35th T35 and other stuff packed in it's box). I was warned recently that HM Customs just increased their vigilance on import duties, but I've seen nothing change in a year or so, and I've got plenty in from HLJ and other overseas suppliers.

Wulf

Reply to
Wulf Corbett

Duncan

I've often ordered from HLJ, and sometimes fallen foul of HM Customs or rather of the Post Office which does the assessment and collects the charges for them. The chances of your getting away without being charged for a £200 parcel are very slim indeed, though parcels valued at less than £20 or £25 usually get hrough uncharged. I'd therefore suggest placing individual orders - the extra shipping charges will be less than the VAT and duty charge. As for arguing over the amount actually paid vis-a-vis their etimate of value, good luck! If they do make an estimate they are likely to insist on it and refuse to accept the true figure. You certainly won't be able to have your parcel without paying hte amount demanded, so will have to complain afterwards. If the estimate is sufficiently higher than the true cost including P&P (they do count toward the calculation, I checked) to make an appeal worth your time I would recommend that you contact your local Customs & Excise office and ask them how to reclaim the excess payment.

Good luck!

John

Reply to
JPrigent

Thanks for the information :) A third isn't too bad I suppose, it'll still work out alot cheaper.

Duncan

Reply to
Great Deku Tree

That would make sense, although a couple of items are well over £50 each. I'll make sure to combine the others in a tactful manner ;)

The thing is I don't mind paying the correct amount, it's just so many stories of seemingly random charges really annoys me.

Let's hope I don't need it ;)

Duncan

Reply to
Great Deku Tree

I would suggest ordering from Rainbow Ten instead of HLJ because they will split your order into multiple parcels if it saves you on shipping. You just tell them to send it "reasonable way not surface". HLJ won't do this.

Their address is

I've used them lots of times and they are very good.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Seniuk

I'm the president of HLJ. This is simply untrue. We split orders into two boxes and ship them by SAL small packet all the time for customers, whenever that's possible (i.e. one single item is not so big that it cannot go by small packet). What we won't do is:

(1) Split orders with a total value over 15,000 yen

(2) Split orders that will take three or more boxes to ship

The reasons for the above are that in (1), since we guarantee delivery and replace all missing and damaged merchandise for customers, we expect that particularly valuable orders will go by a class of shipping where the package is trackable (small packet is not trackable). In (2), we've done simulations here and the cost difference to split into three or more small packet packages vs. sending one parcel are not significant in most cases. Factors affecting this include the need for excess packing materials creating more weight (and costing us/you more in packaging) as well as additional employee time to pack such orders. We therefore feel that if boosting your shipping bill by just 10 - 15% is going to get you EMS service with its blazingly-fast delivery and trackability, that it's a worthwhile investment.

In any event, we make no money on shipping. We're just charging our costs. We have no incentive to overcharge you, as it discourages business, of course, but our long experience doing this has shown what makes sense and what does not.

Reply to
Scott T. Hards

I can certainly verify that, I just got a delivery of 2 packages containing the contents of a single order last week.

The fact that I had screwed up and only actually wanted 1 of the item instead of 3 is no-one's fault but mine...

Wulf

Reply to
Wulf Corbett

I've contacted HM customs in the past to get some clarification of their charges as I seemed to get some odd amounts charged.

The breakdown is as follows: Firstly we have a personal limit of approx £36 (goods and shipping cost) before charges are levied.

ALL charges are worked out on the declared value of the goods on the customs slip placed on the parcel by the sender or any invoice attached/enclosed.

To the GOODS value is then added the POSTAGE/SHIPPING cost. This is where insured surface mail for less urgent/heavier items becomes more important in working out what you are prepared to be charged

Import tax is then added to the combined GOODS+SHIPPING AMOUNT this is currently a flat 1%

On top of this is added VAT at the current rate of 17.5 % - there is no luxury goods tax or anything just plain old VAT at its standard rate.

If your order contains books which of course don't warrant any VAT in the UK, then ask the supplier to mark the books and their value on the customs declaration form so that VAT isn't charge don their portion of the order. Its a devil of a job proving to them after the event that the parcel contained books so that you can get a refund. I've only managed to get this refunded with some difficulty, their policy seems to be if it isn't declared as books, tough. Which I suppose is understandable.

Then the Royal Mail charge around £7.95 to collect the charges mentioned above. This is sometimes the killer as this amount can really narrow the savings made.

I tend to work on a value of 22% being added to the total cost if I'm caught by customs. I've been purchasing stuff over the internet for the last 6 years and now I have probably 1 in 3 parcels charged compared to nearer 1 in 10 a few years ago. I expect that HM Customs have been given more resources as internet purchasing has gone up to catch us bargain hunters.

I hope that helps make it a bit clearer

Reply to
AAA

i get items almost daily, and im sure there esp trying to catch me, been caught twice in 300 parcels and those 2 were way over, got away with it a few times but im careful how much i buy, US sellers are usually very nice and put gift and lower the value without asking, but last week a Candian put a lot higher amount even for CAN$'s but was books.

I buy kiddies clothes(CHiPs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and make sure they put that as adult clothes are charged

Reply to
JULIAN HALES