Farish (Poole) DMU Problems

Help for a newbie please.

I've just purchased a second hand Farish (Poole) DMU. It was advertised as working, however, whilst the motor turns, nothing happens at the bogies aside from a bit of a grinding noise; i.e. no movement forwards or backwards. The seller has said that he will refund me for it if I return it to him. Having said that, is there any easy way that I can resolve the problem? The motor drives both bogies rather than just one of them. Are spares still readily available? Whilst I am technically minded, I do have problems getting my hands to do what I want them to at times. Again, I do not want to spend too much repairing it - I'm aware that the Bachmann Farish version is due out soon.

Thanks in advance

Kevin the (relatively new here) Lurker

Reply to
Kevin Harper

Sound like worn gears to me. Send it back, and wait for the Bachmann version. It will be miles better, anyhow.

Reply to
Wolf

I wondered if it was worn gears. Shame really - cosmetically it doesn't look to have had much use. I will end up sending it back - I really don't want to end up spending more on repairing it than the cost of buying a new Bachmann version!

Thanks

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Harper

Well, if you like its looks, you could rip the guts out, and run it as a trailer... :-)

Reply to
Wolf

Bloomin' expensive trailer though!

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Harper

I support the "send it back" approach.

However, if you find yourself stuck and needing to repair older Farish stuff, then BR Lines are the repair place. I have found the chap who runs BR Lines to be helpful, prices fair, and will tell you if bits are available.

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

"Kevin Harper" wrote

I've just purchased a second hand Farish (Poole) DMU. It was advertised as working, however, whilst the motor turns, nothing happens at the bogies aside from a bit of a grinding noise; i.e. no movement forwards or backwards. The seller has said that he will refund me for it if I return it to him. Having said that, is there any easy way that I can resolve the problem? The motor drives both bogies rather than just one of them. Are spares still readily available? Whilst I am technically minded, I do have problems getting my hands to do what I want them to at times. Again, I do not want to spend too much repairing it - I'm aware that the Bachmann Farish version is due out soon.

Thanks in advance

Kevin the (relatively new here) Lurker

Hi Kevin,

CAn you determine at which point the drive from the motor is stopping ? I suspect it may be similar to a fault I encountered with the wire "springs" that link the motor shaft to the shaft at the gear towers, effectivly a very simple universal joint ! Will the wheels turn on their own ? Or is the mechanism solid ?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD

Andy,

The mechanism i solid, which is why I wondered if it was a (more serious) drive problem.

Thanks

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Harper

"Kevin Harper" wrote

I assume we're talking about the Met-Camm class 101 dmu and not the later class 158? Both have totally different drives.

If it's the Met-Cam then it has an integrated motor bogie, if it's the 158 then there is a central motor driving both bogies through flexible (springs) drive shafts.

Can we establish which please?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

It is the Met Camm 101 however, the motor does drive both bogies. It appears from stamping on the box that the model was made in 1994.

Thanks

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Harper

"Kevin Harper" wrote

I think that was the later version of the Met-Camm. The probability is that the nylon bearings which support the central motor shafts have overheated and melted (very slightly) and as a result are stopping the armature revolving.

If that prognosis is correct then a new armature and bearings *may* solve the problem.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

John,

Thanks for this. I think it's going to be far more cost effective to return the dmu and wait patiently for the Bachmann Farish version.

Thanks again.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Harper

I seem to remember someone using one of the Japanese low-height DMU chassis on one of these models, although I also seem to remember he wasn't too happy with the result. Mine are both old style units with the motor bogie, noisy but reliable with extra pick ups on the other bogie.

Good luck

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith