What is it??

Hi, Can anybody tell me what the correct name for this wagon is? It has a sticker on it which says Made in England by Meccano LTD. Hornby Series. It is O Guage.

Thankyou

Andy

Reply to
Petaman

Andy,

The prototype it is copying was called a bogie trolley on the LMS and a Weltrol on the LNER, and I believe BR used the term Weltrol (well trolley) as well. Here's a picture of one on Paul Bartlett's wagon picture site

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

"Petaman" wrote

It's a pre-war Hornby No 2 Trolley wagon.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In message , Petaman writes

It is indeed 0 gauge. A Trolley Wagon, made by Meccano Limited, probably 1933/34, assuming the colours of the body, bogie and bolster are original. Two years later, the bogies were black.

Pity one bogie is missing. The other may have been changed, as it should be secured by a rivet, rather than nut and bolt.

Reply to
Graeme

Thankyou very much for the information. Does anyone know where I might be able to aquire a bogie??

Thankyou

Andy

Reply to
Petaman

"Petaman" wrote

Not being facetious, but there will be someone somewhere in a similar position who will probably buy your Trolley wagon to obain your remaining bogie, but if you're intent on restoring an item which appears to be in pretty poor condition then I'm afraid you're going to have to search at swapmeets and on eBay.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In message , John Turner writes

I agree with John. Genuine Hornby bogies do appear on eBay, (usually in pairs), and, to be honest, you may pay as much as the complete wagon is worth, just for a bogie. Having said that, it is always nice to be able to bring an old item of rolling stock back to life, using original parts.

There are two eBay sellers that I have used for spares, Tinplatelad and Repairatoy, both of whom have been perfectly reliable in the past.

Reply to
Graeme

Thankyou for your advice. I think I will keep an eye out for a bogie, as this wagon was given to me along with many other wagons by and old friend who recently passed away. He told me about how he played with them as a child, and therefore I would like to see them restored to their former glory. I have already completed some wagons, and the loco (an 'o' gauge Bowman LMS 265). Thankyou once again.

Andy

Reply to
Petaman

Go along to the local Hornby O Gauge collectors group, I find most things turn up if you ask for help. And not at silly ebay prices.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes