Finescale track

has some information, in particular:

"The 1995 Disability Discrimination Act has made it a legal requirement for companies and organisations to ensure that all can access their services and information. This act directly applies to websites and Internet services."

It covers all "provision of services", so internet trading comes within its remit. The act itself is at:

and the RNIB's take on it is at:

Ideally, double-A compliance with W3C website accessibility guidelines (WAG):

single A compliance is /probably/ OK, though..

Andrew Robert Breen

Thank you for your reasoned reply.

The 1995 act makes no menti "Since October 1999 they have had to make reasonable adjustments for disabled people, such as providing extra help or making changes to the way they provide their services. "

So a website owner may well be fullfilling the requirements of the DDA by providing extra help where said website is not accessible for some reason.

Yes, I was already aware of that. The crucial points to me are under the section headed "Duty of providers of services to make adjustments" where there is a clear test of reasonableness, not a blanket requirement.

I had already found that and found it a little lacking in that there's no back-up to their references to the changes made in 1999 and 2004. It states "The part of the DDA that states websites must be made accessible came into force on 1 October 1999" but no link to which part of the act they are referring.

My interpretation is still that just as an accessible website can be used to ensure services are available to the disabled, the converse is true that other means can be used to deliver a service where a web site is not accessible for some reason. Again from the act "provide a reasonable alternative method of making the service in question available to disabled persons".

I just object to the blanket statement by one poster that a website

*has* to be accessible.

That wasn't quite what I meant, but rather how do you determine when a website is providing a service or not?

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

":::Jerry::::" wrote in news:43d8c399$0$73217$ snipped-for-privacy@authen.yellow.readfreenews.net:

Well for once we agree ...

Reply to
Chris Wilson

"Martin Wynne" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

And if you'd bothered to actually read what I wrote rather than what you appear to think I wrote I thanked your for it, explained that I was happy to run it as I have the facility to run unknown software in a sandbox and simply suggested that when you do post it to your site you add a little explanation of the format ... which is what according to this post I'm replying to is something that you intend to do.

So what's your problem?

Would you care to point out where I have done any of that?

What, like you do here?

No, I said that without knowing what software you used to create the .exe video the possibility exists that you may have used a feebie that contains spy or other malware - not being the creator of it you wouldn't know unless you had made a study of it was never a comment about your templot software.

It's also a matter of good manners, if you expect someone to download and run an executable file it is considered polite to tell them about it. Templot is one thing created yourself, folks downloading it know what to expect - even if like me they not be able to use it to the full "out of the box" so to speak.

Likewise *.avi, *.mpg, *.wmf etc etc etc ... folks know what to expect and what to do with it. An exe is an unknown quantity especially if undocumented. Anyway as you are going to do what I politely suggested then great, Templot looks good, it's something I would have considered again prior to starting my next layout and your videos etc may well have convinced me to part with money.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

" snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

If a site is trying to sell you something it's providing a service.

As for deign etc the test is "reasonableness", what is "reasonable" for the owner to do to make his site (read goods and servicies) accessable.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

"Andrew Robert Breen" wrote

Maybe someone should have told that to Hornby - I couldn't read their 2004 catalogue price list without a magnifying glass, so goodness knows what sort of problems some of those with serious visual problems would have had.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Paul Boyd wrote in news:43d91686$0$1490$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net:

Oh no it hasn't ... :-)

Seriously, haven't C&L stopped producing 00?

Reply to
Chris Wilson

On 26/01/2006 18:41, Chris Wilson said,

Oh yes it has ;-)

No - just had a look at his website and he does still list OO/00 flexitrack, as well as various 00/OO gauges and crossings and point kits.

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Is it still Panto session?...

No, Exactoscale are the people who have stopped marketing non P4 and

7mm components, according to a notice on their web site.
Reply to
:::Jerry::::

":::Jerry::::" wrote in news:43d92c3c$0$45043$ snipped-for-privacy@authen.yellow.readfreenews.net:

Oh no it isn't!

That's it, got my wires crossed, knew that I'd read that one of the "finescale" bods had binned their 00 range.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

I thought C&L had stopped producing any new P4 flexitrack?

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear! Martin, I'll bet you now wish you'd never stepped away from your controlled environment and into the infamous badlands known as UKRMR.

Never complain, never explain!

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

Ancient history, they have resumed production. Keith

Reply to
Keith

And they're bloody annoying, especially when you're in a dimly-lit phone booth with the chrome-plated number buttons at waist height.

Reply to
MartinS

Oh, I don't know. Plenty of mentions of Templot - remember the old adage - 'There's no such thing as bad news'. :-)

The one thing he should have done was to re-name the thread to include Templot in the subject line :-)

And it looks as though he got colonic Jerry in at least one more killfile :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Not till we've seen him in a red leotard :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

In message , Jim Guthrie writes

Any male person who wears a red leotard ought to be forced to get his chest waxed first. I thought that looked absolutely terrible. Good thing they only showed a few seconds of it on the BBC news.

No smiley, because I am deadly serious.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Guthrie

No man should be forced to wear a leotard in the first place!

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

":::Jerry::::" wrote

They didn't - they made George Galloway.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In message , ":::Jerry::::" writes

I don't think he was forced, was he? Didn't he do it of his own free will?

Reply to
Jane Sullivan