GRP scenery

Has anyone tried using GRP as a scenery base? I want a large hill that can be removed for track cleaning and maintenance (behind the backscene), I was thinking of using GRP on an exmet armature. Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

A gentleman in California has been pushing what he calls geodesic scenery since the mid 1990s.

His web site doesd't just push his products but describes the techniques. You should be able to find equivalent stuff in the UK

Christopher A. Lee

Am missing something here (again :-)), Whats wrong with MDF, offcuts of wood and cardboard. Bit like any other scenery really, but sits on MDF thats on pillars (of wood) instead of directly on baseboard. I have a tunnel like that.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

For this application (large, removable) - strength, weight, durability,...

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

For this application (large, removable) - strength, weight, durability,...

MBQ

Precisely, its been there for a year, 18"*3'. Done grass on it but otherwise its a shelf awaiting more scenicing.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

How many times has it been moved ;-)

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

How many times has it been moved ;-)

MBQ

20 or 30. Cheers, Simon
Reply to
simon

I think that the answers you got on Model Geek.com are correct. Don't do layups indoors, the styrene vapours are not pleasant and will hang around for a long time. You would need a solid mould underneath, same shape as your mountain and prep it with a release agent to remove your shell. The weight would be about 6 oz./ sq ft.,if you use 1.5 oz. chopped strand mat. You would be better off to get a foam shop to sray you a poly iso urethane " muffin " and carve it to shape, outdoors.

Reply to
Cosmopolite