Help !!!!

Well mine have

Hornby Thomas & Percy, Triang Dock shunter and Polly. And a green Bachmann

20 - their own choice. However doesn't look right with my blue one
Reply to
Martin

The message from "simon" contains these words:

That's heresy! The LNER didn't have any Black Fives, they *only* had B1s.

Happy Christmas.

Reply to
David Jackson

snipped-for-privacy@interalpha.couk wrote in news:kjebm3homm6priias4nku71ioou23i5du5 @4ax.com:

Very good point, he should be honest with himself and ask who he was really buying the set for. All he's done is put the young lad off. If I was younger I have no doubt that I'd want to model those diesil thingies but being born before steam died out (just!) and having a dad who took up up and down the country to look at preserved lines, "steamtown" every few weeks some summers when I was a little older so it was natural I got into real railways rather than imported boxes from Spain and, Italy and Canada :-)

But lets not have a dig at folks, especially young folks who don't know better. Even I have a few diesils running around for Mk1 Son. He loves them, 5 mins of watching me shunt something at a crawl with a pug and he's off.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Blame Thompson - his own description. :-)

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

£500 for a PS3? The 80GB one is half that here.

My 3-year-old grandson is still at the wooden Thomas stage, but he does like Grandad's trains that move all by themselves without being pushed!

Reply to
MartinS

The last time he saw my layout, he said (quite rightly), "Where are all the little people?" I had to dig out my package of Dinky 00 Passengers and Station Staff, which he helped to place on the platform.

Reply to
MartinS

Buy him a diesel. You are a dinosaur.

:-)

Reply to
Brian Watson

Besides, it's a present for HIM, not you.

Reply to
Brian Watson

Did you not know that BR were considering reboilering B1's with Black Five boilers?

Roger

Reply to
Roger

The message from "Roger" contains these words:

Why didn't they just scrap the B1s and build more Black Fives...?

Reply to
David Jackson

"Martin" wrote

I've got a photograph *somewhere* of BR green & blue class 20s double-heading, so whether it looks right or not it is right!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Why did British Railways bother designing and building Standard Fives (and every other Standard), when they could have just standardized on the best of the locos from the grouped companies (in this case the Black Five), then gone into their modernisation plan from there??

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

Because they would all all be LMS designs and the other regions would be jealous :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Welcome to the world of UK video pricing. I'm told the PAL version is also feature-crippled as well for good measure.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Well I got a 60GB one when they came down in price (to £350) and it's working fine for me... bloomin' marvellous actually :-)

But I don't play PS2 or PS1 games on it, and I gather that was the one feature only enabled via software in non-US units. But the 40GB one worldwide doesn't even have that ability, AFAIK.

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

That's news to me but it wouldn't have been worth it as they were fairly new and had plenty of life left in their original form.

B1s were just as good but became extremely rough with wear. The problems weren't the boiler but the bogie and bearings. I believe they were also strengthened at the rear to cut down on cab vibration.

Several things, from route availability to ability to run on poor coal including maintenance in post war conditions.

Given the background of the new management, it is not surprising that the basis were Ivatt (derived from Stanier and Churchward) with the best features fro mother companies added.

Where there was already a suitable modern locomotive they used that - like the Ivatt class 4 and the excellent class 2 2-6-0s, and the Fairburn class 4 2-6-4T which was also the basis for the standard class 4 4-6-0.

The excellence of the Churchward/Stanier boilers was demonstrated by the fact that the boiler on the standard class 3 was a 50 year old GWR number 4 as fitted to City of Truro, but with a dome.

Reply to
Christopher A.Lee

The message from "kim" contains these words:

That happened anyway (well, nearly) - and the designing was spread round the various drawing offices to cut down on the jealousy.

Reply to
David Jackson

The message from "Ian J." contains these words:

Because BR was several years into designing/building the Standard locos when the "Modernisation Plan" was brought in.

Reply to
David Jackson

Buy him a Diseasal before they go out of fashion!

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Oh yes, those critters that couldnt adapt, only lasted 130 million years - we should be so lucky !

I spend months building a loco and he just strolls in and claims it as his own - does say thank you though. When he moves on to ladies etc I will be left to maintain the collection until hes ready to return. Think of it as compensation.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon