Hornby in good shape?

Just reported on the (UK) Working Lunch programme...

Hornby is 'on-the-up', having sold over 100,000 'Train Sets' over the Christmas / New Year Period. Research shows the majority of sales were to Men in the 40-55 age group!

Hmmm.... Comments?

David.

Reply to
David F.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Heath

"There are only two requirements for being a financial genius, a rising market and a short memory" [Bob Beckman]

Reply to
kim
.

Do they expect children to buy their own christmas presents?

Neil.

Reply to
mumbles

They've been on the up for the last four years at least. Just look at what has happened to their share price on this web page.

Which is good because it means journalists can keep on using the phrase "steaming ahead" when they write about Hornby's financial position. :)

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

"David F." wrote

I can just imagine the staff at Kays catalogue or those at Toys 'R' Us making assessments of the age of those purchasing Hornby train sets.

It's also interesting to consider that last Christmas was the first year that Bachmann made a serious attempt to enter the trainset market, with much better quality sets than those from Hornby whilst retaining a very competitive pricing structure. We found that Bachmann sets were generally well received, and sold pretty well. The bonus was that we had minimal problems with the Bachmann sets, whilst Hornby's useless train set controller continued to present cut-out problems - a problem they've known about for some years.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

minimal

Read it on

Kevin

Reply to
kajr

My mate Oggy (who works in the City) is as sick as a pig - he had a friend who wanted to buy Hornby, but Oggy advised him not to because it was for the wrong reasons and Hornby's sales curve was downward at the time.

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

In article , "Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote: snipped

Phil: Is that an example of /outsider/ trading?

Reply to
Phil