Bachmann 66's

Does anyone know when the Bachmann class 66's which were promised before Christmas are finally due to appear, any information or advice on this would be much appreciated.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

apparently they should not be too far away, possibly this month.

There are three more "new" ones listed in the 2005 catalogue, which in theory means there will be 6 available this year!.

32-728 66612 Freightliner livery 32-729 66405 Malcolm logistics services / DRS livery 32-730 66200 EWS livery
Reply to
piemanlarger

I don't know when they are out, but here are some pictures of the first versions at the Toy Fair. There has been a lot of discussion about them on the Demod Yahoo Group......and it hasn't been very complimentary.

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

"Fred X" wrote

I have to say from those pictures that the front windows look disappointingly small, and as a consequence spoils the front end of the loco completely. I'm hoping that we're still looking at pre-production models in those images, and that the production models do not have this blatantly obvious fault.

If anyone want to see what the front end of a class 66 *should* look like, take a look at

and note also that the cab front windows are virtually flush with the cab plate work.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Gah! They've made a dog's dinner of the cab windows :-( If that's a production model, then Bachmann have completely shot themselves in the foot.

Reply to
Rich Mackin

I must agree with other correspondents, the windows loop a load of crap compared to the picture of the prototype provded by John.

Reply to
Robert Wilson

And what about that gap between body and chassis? - it looks awful.

Stu

Reply to
Stu

For some bizare reason, they seem to have printed the black window seals on the glazing rather than the body. One DEMOD member did a mock-up of what the model would look like with the seals printed on the window surround, and it looked much better - perhaps not quite right, but hopefully the production models will be better.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

"Adrian" wrote

Without actually having one of the models in front of me to check dimensions, it is difficult to see quite what is causing the apparant problem. As has been pointed out elsewhere it could be the prismatic effect of the over-thick glazing which could be making the windows look too small. Whatever it is they just do not look right.

I'll reserve judgement until they arrive, but I have to say I'm not unduly optimistic for Bachmann's rendition of this loco. I sincerely hope that I'm proved wrong - we don't need Hornby to have to take up the cudgel and produce an improved model at a later date.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Fred X" wroteI don't know when they are out, but here are some pictures of the first versions at the Toy Fair. There has been a lot of discussion about them on the Demod Yahoo Group......and it hasn't been very complimentary.

Fred X

I had a look at this, I think that with the black window rubber painted (which Bachmann have not done) it will look more like. I think the main bit is so there is some strength in the window pillars. The side ones look nice and flush, just a shame the pictures aren't of great quality, but I know what its like, I've been before!

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

I think that's an optical illusion caused by the front grab rail being fixed too far below the windows? I'm using Bachmann's own prototype picture for comparison.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote

Another fault eh? I'm not so sure, but at this stage it's all speculation based on one or two photographs of pre-production samples. Let's hope the production models have been improved.

John.

Reply to
John Turner