HORNBY R216 Prime Pork Closed Van

I have to admit I quite like the private livery wagons & loco's that Hornby, Lima etc. made / make. They add a bit of colour to our sons layout.

Some examples I particularly like are :-

Duracell Battery

Weetabix

Stork

S J Moreland & Sons open 6 plank

Kellogg's

Red Arrows Box van

McVities

Tizer

Castrol Motor oils 12T tanker

Mighty White Softgrain Bread

and the R216 Prime Pork Closed Van

The question is were did the design for the R216 come from ? It looks, from the example my son ha, s to represent a 'Middle White' pig which despite now being a 'rare breed' was quite common as what you might call a 'back yard pig' some years ago.

Can anyone supply any more information please ?

Reply to
Dragon Heart

Whilst on the subject of 'user' wagons, I have a (Hornby) POLO tank wagon that I gathered at some swapmeet or other , and have only rarely seen a mention of it since- Is there a story behind it, like a promo or something..?

Reply to
Kirk

We like that one too !

Hornby Railways R003

Short wheel-base Tank Wagon "Polo the mint with the hole" with white- rimmed wheels.

Era 1982 to 1984

One went on Ebay a few weeks ago in good condition with box for =A315 !

It was 'Special Edition' I think !

Reply to
Dragon Heart