Hornby R242 BR ventilated van 'VAN'.

Hello

I think the above is based on the "vanwide" munitions van and/or a pallet van. Can anyone tell me when the prototype would have been introduced, please?

Thanks Roger

Reply to
Roger Thomas

I believe that this is the case, although I think the underframe is wrong, especially for the rebuilt VEA version. This is what it should look like.

Rebuilt

Original

According to this site they were introduced in 1959

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

1959 - all I have on this . . .

HTH

Mike

Reply to
Mike

More - Some of the Vanwides were retained, fitted with air brakes, to supply military depots which had curves too tight for the long wheelbase vans to access, there were a number of the 12 foot wheelbase open wagons (BR Pipe wagons) retained for the same purpose.

Not sure when this traffic ended, not the sort of thing they advertise.

HTH

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Thank you. It was the 1959 bit that I especially needed. Thanks again Roger

Reply to
Roger Thomas

"Roger Thomas" wrote

I'd have preferred an accurate wagon rather than one which fitted my period.

John.

Reply to
John Turner