Electrical smells

Hi all,
I've just acquired a Lima loco that's pretty old (25 years, to be
precise). Before running it, I gave it a good clean up, and lubricated
it etc. Motor appears to be a Ringfield, possibly 3 pole, bogie mounted.
However, after about 10seconds of running, there is a nasty smell of
electrical burning eminating from it, but it still runs very well.
Is there anything I can do to eliminate/minimise the smells ? Can I give
it a drive transplant from a newer model (but retain the original for
resale etc)
Given it's rarity and age, I don't intend to run it often, just for the
odd "specials", but I do want to keep it in good running order.
Reply to
Ian Cornish
How and what with did you lube it? Too much oil on the commutator can make the smell you describe.
Steve
Reply to
Steve Magee
I didn't do the commutator. I only did the mechanicals (gears, wheels etc). However, I've just dismantled the motor itself and found it coated in oil... now to get it off..
Steve Magee wrote:
Reply to
Ian Cornish
You can expect motors to emit a certain amount of smell, and given the age of this one, I think it would take a while to burn off the tarnish from the commutator. If you are sure it is all clean etc, and isn't getting over hot, I would just run it and keep a check on it. My bet is it will subside with use - or burst into flames :o)
Reply to
Feebo
Best thing that could happen to a Lima loco!
Reply to
Ben C