How do I make my Ukrainian model go like a train?

I've just acquired a model of a Soviet railcar, and reckon it might be fun to try to motorise it so I can chase any 4 mm scale capitalist running dogs off the motherland of the layout:

For practical reasons I can live with using 16.5 mm track to represent

1520 mm gauge in 1:72 scale, but has anyone any suggestions for a suitable motor bogie to use? It needs 4 wheels, but also to be small and *cheap*. I once used a tram motor bogie in a model, but I understand they are out of production now.

I'm thinking of seeing what can be done with a Bachmann "Gandy dancer", if I can procure one, but anyone know of any other options? Black Beetles are bit expensive for something which will hardly ever be run.

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

Toby the tram engine? Made by Hornby for UK (44GBP), Bachmann for elsewhere $45.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

"Arthur Figgis" wrote

Difficult to make suggestions without knowing the size of the model. Wolf has suggested 'Toby' and if its chassis is small enough then that would be an ideal option. Another possibility is to use the two axles from a Hornby 'Pacer' fitted to a scratch-built (very basic) chassis, but that of course would mean finding one to break for parts.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

If you're going down that path why not something like a DS10 (or similar double ended motor) with a couple of those cheap etched 'gearboxes'? I assume that by "4 wheels" the OP means 2 powered axles.

Reply to
Jerry

"Jerry" wrote

I'd have thought one powered axle would be perfectly adequate to move this thing. The only reason I suggested using a Pacer driven and non-powered axle is that the motor & gearbox are already built and thus it would be much easier than having to mesh a DS10 (no longer available either as far as I know) with a worm & wheel.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Yes, I'm not sure if the DS10 is available anymore but other 'double' ended motors are (and is why I said "or similar"), as for coupling the motor to a worm gear or two (the worm to wheel meshing is taken care of by the etched 'gearbox') is the least of the issues if one is going to scratch build a chassis I would have thought. Obviously different peoples mileage differs as do their skills.

Reply to
Jerry

If DIY'ing then something along the lines of the Branchlines 4-wheeled railbus chassis will do the job nicely. One powered axle, simple worm/wheel transmission, Mashima 1016 open framed 5-pole. Optional flywheel on the other end of the motor. The non-powered axle in a simple pivoting frame to ensure four wheels on the track for optimum pickup.

If not up to doing the sheet metal bits oneself, then the Branchlines chassis used to be cheap and would be easy to chop to required wheelbase. No idea if the new owners of Branchlines still have that item in production, but I'm sure they would answer email/phone.

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

The body is a box roughly 60 mm long, 30 mm wide and 20 mm high. 34 mm wheelbase, but that is not too critical (how many J70 models have 6 wheels under their skirts!)

Wolf

Now *that* sounds very promising. I've even got one somewhere.

I don't really feel up to scratch building - I always have problems with pick ups and things, and it just doesn't /quite/ work.

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

Would have thought just buy her some fish'n'chips, couple of bottles of stout and away you go.. Always worked for me.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Athur I read your first post, but honestly - buy a Black Beetle and save a lot of hassles. It's (sorta) cute enough to be worth it. :)

Cheers

Steve Magee Newcastle NSW Aust

Reply to
Steve

Looking in a model shop yesterday I spotted an "Underground Ernie" maintenance vehicle at GBP15-ish, which looked vaguely promising. Anyone know what the guts of it look like with the body removed? It looked like the bogie could be quite promisingly small.

says "Ernie 1 provides a really cost effective item of motive power for O16.5 narrow gauge models, whilst the power bogie has been eagerly awaited by tramway modellers. We look forward to seeing some interesting conversion articles in the model railway press over the coming months."

The Underground Ernie models look a bit sinister to me - there is something scary about them. Though there would be something satisfying about making kiddies' toys into a totalitarian weapons system :-)

Reply to
Arthur Figgis