It's about the real ones, so forgive me

but I dont know where to start. It's a simple question I would have thought, but I'm running into a brick wall. Travelling to Britain in July 2007, part of my activities - including visiting model railway shops :-) - requires me to travel from Edinburgh to Glasgow. Now, I went to the britrail site and tried to use their travel planner. It assures me that, no matter what time I want to travel, there are no trains that travel that route. Huh?

Can someone, far more knowledgeable in British Rail than I, let me know if there are passenger trains beween those two cities? And roughly, on a Saturday, how often? I know that timetables change but it would at elast give me an idea.

Oh and btw - the Britrail site says that, irrespective of the fact that there are no trains on that route, my fare will be $A37. :-)

Steve Newcastle NSW Aust

Reply to
Steve

Try a Google on: train timetable edinburgh glasgow

First hit brings up First Scotrail.

Trains every 15 mins Mon-Sat, 0700-1900, every 30 mins to 2330. Travel time approx. 50 min.

Reply to
MartinS

Same day return fare £16.20.

Reply to
MartinS

Great, Martin. Many thanks for that.

Steve

Mart> > "Steve" wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Steve said the following on 04/10/2006 06:49:

Just had a look at the britrail site (never heard of it before!) and it does seem a bit, er, odd.

Just for future reference, the best site to use for UK trains is

Paul Boyd

BR as such is gone, we are back to separate tain operatin companies. The best web site I know for train enquiries is

and it suggests around 3/4 hour for the journey.

Reply to
Paul Matthews

Hi Steve. There are several routes between Edinburgh and Glasgow. The most frequent is between Edinburgh and Glasgow Queen Street via Falkirk which is 15 mins freq for much of the day. This was operated by push-pull type express coaching stock but was replaced by diesel multiple units with the introduction of class 158s to BR.

There is a route via Shotts which is also operated by Sprinter type diesel units.

The other route between Edinburgh and Glasgow Central is the electrified route via Carstairs which is used by some GNER trains formed of class 91 and push pull express stock, and a handful of Virgin Voyagers.

Hope this helps

Steve wrote:

Reply to
Waldviertler

The overseas marketing operation retained the name "BritRail" for many years. A friend's brother in New York works for them. He tells me they are now called something else.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

To be precise, sixteen Vestal Virgins heading for the coast. ;-)

Reply to
MartinS

just make sure it doesnt say via Euston - although if it does youve got a bargain.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Shouldn't that be "Vestibule Virgins"?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

And shouldn't the count be four and twenty Virgins - sorry, that's on the route to Inverness, isn't it? Silly me. Mike in BC

Reply to
michael gray

I could be wrong, though. :-)

R. Burns, where are you when we need you ....

Steve Magee Newcastle (not-on-Tyne) NSW Aust

Reply to
Steve

In message , Steve writes

Didn't they travel from Inverness to Kirriemuir?

I'd have thought William Topaz McGonagall would be more appropriate.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

twenty Virgins - sorry, that's on the

On the down line from Inverness.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Strictly speaking, the four and twenty virgins travelled from Inverness - on the return journey there were, so legend has it, four and twenty less. The original posting on this thread reminds me that, a couple of years ago, the "normal" answer to "How do I get from Leeds to Carlisle?" was to change at Newcastle or Carnforth. Also, some years ago in the early days of privatisation, I was travelling from Plymouth to Fareham. The rather attractive young ladies (in their "Great Western" uniforms") asked me if they could help. I actually knew what I was up to, but their advice was to wait for nearly two hours and then change at Westbury; when I mentioned I was travelling in ten minutes time, changing at Exeter and Salisbury and would be in Fareham.much sooner they expalined that they were directing people to "their" services to drum up business. Fair comment, I suppose, but hardly honest or totally helpful.

Ah well, that's off my chest,

David Costigan

Reply to
David Costigan

That's nothing new. There's the famous story of the station (forget which) shared by two pre-nationalisation companies at which one company arranged its platform lights in such a way that no light fell on its rival's side of the platform!

(kim)

Reply to
kim

158s are now 170s, ther also stopping 156 servces from Glasgow Central to Edinburgh via Carstairs but it takes forever! 90mins i seem to remember

guy

Reply to
guy

I suspect the problem is your looking further ahead than has been officially timetabled, so while you could find a train for tomorrow it doesn't cover that far ahead.

Reply to
estarriol

No, I tried to be sneaky and say I was going in Nov 2006 - I was just trying to get an idea of journey length and frequency of services. Don't matter, got lots of helpful responses from the people on this list, for which I am grateful. Many thanks to all again.

Steve

Reply to
Steve