James May TOYS

The point I would make is that the original owner did in fact use the Land Rover. After all, it did have 3,000 miles on the odometer. He actually drove it to shows risking damage. I wonder why he bought it in the first place as it certainly wasn't a "classic" when he picked it up from the dealer when new. It was age that made it a classic, that and the use that its siblings were put to over their life spans.

Krypsis

Reply to
Krypsis

On Thu, 07 May 2009 23:06:24 +1000, Krypsis

It really is a shame you haven't learnt to snip. Your post are sooooo long. I can't be bothered with them.

Get a dictionary and look up :-

PRESERVATION

REPLICATION

If you want to create rides for the kiddies, that's fine, but don't confuse it with preserving historical items and yes models can be historical models too. I really have nothing to add.

G'day Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

It's a shame you haven't learnt to read long posts. Finding it difficult to keep up with the flow? Not surprising then that you have such a simplistic view of preservation and replication.

I am already sufficiently conversant with the English language, if you don't mind.

What's wrong with imbuing the younger generation with a sense of the history of railways? Those kiddies are your future model railway buffs.

The NA Locomotives at the Puffing Billy Tourist Railway are rather good examples of "preserved and operational historical items" and the Climax, when restoration is complete, will also be a good example. They will also provide rides for kiddies. Hey, the best of both worlds.

But only if they themselves are OLD. Otherwise they are just replicas of historical railway equipment.

I knew that when you first started spouting.

Krypsis

Reply to
Krypsis

And how much of was original 1923 when BR retired it!

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Not yet ..... something for the Summer hol's ?

Chris

Reply to
chris.brett58

Many people refer to steam locomotives as being 'alive' .... and I agree. Sitting in a shed and mothballed is, to my mind, not the way to keep an active interest in steam going.

They have an old carriage at Butterley which is made mostly of timber. It has almost rotted away and is past restoration but will be preserved. A new one is to be built using traditional materials. That to me is ideal as we keep a part of our history and we are able to touch / ride on a new carriage as would someone some 90 plus years ago.

Just like people why should old loco's be retired ?

Chris

It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of fight in the dog.

Reply to
chris.brett58

[snip]

One reason is that in some cases, what's being preserved is not (especially) the loco but the methods and practices of the time of withdrawal/preservation.

Examples would be "Lode Star" and "Caerphilly Castle", which preserve the overhaul methods of Swindon Works in the fifties and sixties. We have plenty of active Castles, but no other fresh-from-Swindon locos.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Illingworth

How about Evening Star? OK, it's not a Great Western design, but wasn't it built there?

That Railroad Evening Star doesn't look too bad in the photos, haven't seen one in the flesh though.

Reply to
Graham Thurlwell