Jenny Lind Steam Loco

I'm building a 3&1/2" live steam model to the design of LBSC of days gone bye. Illustrations show colours as green & red. Can anybody suggest suitable Cherry paint colours. I do not know which companies used these loco's. So far my choices (apple green indian red) by name have been diabolical. Peter Wright, Liskeard.

Reply to
Wadham 577

Unless instructed otherwise reds should be applied over grey undercoat to bring out the colour, especially the weaker reds like crimson. Did the loco run in Stroudley's time? Would look great in yellow. Wilson's were supposed to have turned them out at around fifty a year and at least one went to Canada - lost in the Toronto fire. David Joy's valve gear - brilliant.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

"Ken Parkes" wrote

That's not how the Midland Railway created the lustre on their crimson lake livery. They apparantly used a brown undercoat, several coats of lake, followed by a number of coats of lacquer.

In my days of modelling the MR in 7mm scale I compromised with a cellulose red-oxide primer and (I think) Precision crimson lake enamel for the final colour.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Yes. That's how the Midland painted their engines. But if a paint firm produces a colour to copy the total effect you would need to apply it to grey for best results unless they stipulated some other undercoat. Try putting odd reds on bare metal and grey undercoat, I think you would be impressed with the difference. Incidentally the brown undercoat was red oxide. Haematites vary in colour and could explain the argument about whether LMS red was the same as Midland when records are supposed to shew that the paint specification was the same.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

Hmmm... I used to live near the Jenny Lind Hospital, in Norwich (around 1966-70). Didn't even know there was an Engine named after her!

David / Greenarrow.

Reply to
David F.

In message , David F. writes

I thought Jenny Lind was a Swedish soprano many years ago.

Reply to
John Sullivan

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 17:32:19 +0100, John Sullivan

Correct,

Good choice to name a petty little locomotive after, and hospitals too. Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

More than one loco. The twin sister of Fire Queen at Penrhyn Castle was also named after her

was a Clyde steamer named Jenny Lind as well.

Andy Kirkham Glasgow

Reply to
Andy Kirkham