Kader have bought Sander Kan!

Plus electronic technology is constantly developing, and getting cheaper.

In real terms, a 50" LCD HDTV today is cheaper than a 20" colour CRT set in the 1970s. As for computers the IBM PC was introduced in 1981: 4.77MHz,

64K RAM, BASIC in ROM, 360K floppy drive, monochrome monitor - $3,005. Today: HP with Core 2 Quad processor, 4GB RAM, Vista Home Premium, 500GB HD (no floppy), DVD writer, Blu-Ray reader, 512MB HD video, TV tuner with remote, 19" HP LCD monitor, HP all-in-one printer -
Reply to
MartinS

Yes but the 1981 IBM was top of the range in a very limited market.

One of todays top of the range ie most expensive PC's has :-

CPU: 2 x Intel Xeon 7150N Motherboard: Asus NCL-DE/1U E7520 RAM: 8 x Kingston KHX6400D2K2/4G 4 GB PC2-6400 Graphics NVidia Quadro FX 5500 1 GB Pci-X 16 Soundcard: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy NX 2 USB Sound System: Onkyo 7.1 HomeTheatre System Optic Drive: Pioneer 2x Blue Ray Drive Monitor: ViewSonic VP2290b-2Black 22=94 LCD HDD: 2 x Seagte Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB HDD Keyboard: Fujitsu Siemens HHK Pro Mouse: FabStuff =D6zel =DCretim Altı-G=FCm=FCş-Pırlanta Fare Case: Thermaltake Kandalf Towercase Power Supply: Ultraproducts X3 Modular PSU 2000 Watt

All for a snip of $ 53,400

The one fear I have is 'all ones egg's in one basket' !

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

**************** It's top of the range at Staples - apart from the HP all-in-one, non- expandable TouchSmart at CAD$1,500 - $2,000. ****************
4GB RAM should be enough for anybody!!

Doesn't have much internal storage - guess it uses a NAS.

My 2004 HP m7170n has 3GHz dual core, 3GB RAM, WinXP Pro, 1.5TB internal storage (2x250G, 1x1TB Seagate Barracudas), 1x160 GB WD external.

I got it for $1500 with 1GB RAM, 500GB hard drive, wired KB & mouse, no monitor or printer.

Reply to
MartinS

Bill Gates reportedly said the same about 640K...

Quite possibly if used in CAD, (3D)Graphic or Video work, and if so

4GB would probably be minimum for modern application using a 64bit OS!
Reply to
Jerry

It also makes Scalextric and Airfix kits for Hornby.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

It's not just shop owners, most other folk have a similar name for them

Reply to
Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply)

Then buy several and spread things around.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

"kim" wrote

Are you sure? I understood that Airfix was mostly manufactured in Europe.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

[quote] Hornby has also revamped Airfix's manufacturing base and moved production to China.

"Bluntly, if we hadn't made that move, the Hornby business would be bust by now," says Mr Martin.

"All of our competitors were already manufacturing in China, and basically you can't compete with the lower labour rates that are available there."

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Dammed if they didn't and dammed now they have then....

What ever Kader say about what they will be doing with Sander Kan, and what ever Hornby hope, one thing is a fact, Kader is in direct competition with Hornby and just because it suits Kader for now to do business with Hornby it might no always be that way.

Reply to
Jerry

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 14:04:05 -0800 (PST), Dragon Heart said in :

Hmmmm. Not the same market, though, is it? The early IBM was a business machine, not some multimedia wossname. I tend to spend around £10,000 each on PCs, plus £25,000 on the box to put sixteen of them in, and some more on the fibre channel backbone to connect them to the storage system. But that's not comparable either, because the IBM PC was for desktop use.

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

Not for a lot of serious engineering work. My work desktop has 8G.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

:

Hornby are higher up the foodchain and Hornby's turnover includes their margin and is neccessarily larger than the contribution they pay to their sub-contractors' turnover.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Best not to tell anyone here what you use it for eh Martin? ;o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

The figure comes from Kader's website which says it had a turnover of $HK 725 million. Don't forget that Bachmann has a rather poor reputation in the US and is often referred to as Botchmann, so they are not exactly a market leader.

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

Didnt Tom Watson say 2 or 3 computers would be enough for the world ?

Minimum for anybody is somewhere along the lines of ..., depends on the software :- how much it can use, how much the owner can afford and if adding more makes a difference they want. Of course it also depends on the hardware they have and if more can be added at a cost the owner is willing to pay.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

In message , simon writes

Yes, he did. This is Thomas J Watson, boss of IBM, not Tom Watson the golfer.

This is one of the reasons why I never believe anything that claims to say what will happen in the future.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

"Fred X" wrote

are not exactly a market leader.

That's quite a historic statement, and was indeed correct until Bachmann introduced their Spectrum range and switched their main involvement in the US market to historic steam locomotive models.

Indeed their rather exquisite HO-scale 3-truck Shay won model of the year award in the USA and further models in both HO and G-scales were very well received.

Maybe they're not the market leader in the US, but they are certainly a big player.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

wrote

And includes all of their non-railway ranges too, which as already has been noted includes Scalextrix, Airfix, Humbrol & Corgi for starters.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

It was my version of a quote attributed to Bill Gates, originally 640K.

XP SP2 will only handle a little over 3.2G, so I have 2x512M and 2x1G.

Reply to
MartinS