Letraset - anyone used it on models?

As subject line ... assuming that I've spelt it correctly, anyone used Letraset rub-on transfers on plastic models, if so does it work and any tips?

Reply to
Chris Wilson

"Chris Wilson" wrote

I used to use Kingsprint rub-on decals (same principle as Letraset) and they worked fine when fresh, but as they got older the adhesive would dry out and they'd become unusable. I always found they worked best if rubbed by a soft (4B) pencil rather than a biro or similar.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Cheers, I'll give them a try on my 'new', "Wilson's Engineering" PO fleet.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Many times. One useful one is to paint the object in the lettering colour, apply Letraset, paint over with foreground colour, then lift the Letraset using a sharp knife. It's a tad fiddly but allows you to effectively have any colour you like.

If you apply the Letraset and leave it on, don't forget to varnish over it.

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

I thought the idea was to gloss varnish the model after applying transfers and then spray the model with a matt varnish.....more time consuming but permanent.

Colin.

Reply to
Colin

"Colin" <

If you apply dry print transfers, you want a matte surface.

If you apply water slide (Or equivalent) transfers, you want a gloss surface over which you later apply the matte finish.

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

Reply to
Gene

Chris Wilson"

I have, but I sort of cheated. I applied them to clear decal sheet, sprayed varnish over them and applied them just like waterslide decals.

-- Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix