Lima - Gone ?

Cheap quality low-price production....?? I set a standard which is above that of the DSA basic requirements...... Funny how Heljan (47)/Bachmann (46) can produce a good quality running chassis but Lima didn't. Lima put their brand-name to the type of quality they supplied, which is not required in the U.K. nor ever really has been. Colin.

Reply to
Colin Meredith

Direct from Roco Austria. Their spare parts supply is normally excellent - except - English language is not so good and they don't (well didn't last time I asked) take credit cards.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

***** Riko could not order something which Lima were not prepared to produce and subsequently offer.... Lima models only *sold* because Nothing more substantial was available until recently...e.g. Lima 37 was reputed to be better than the Hornby 37 and sold more but both lost-out to the Bachmann 37 which is to be improved upon soon. Then Lima also lost-out to the Heljan 47 good-style...despite the fact that it too has faults. Collectors, more so than modellers, are prepared to wait for the Heljan 66 than pay £50-£60, or more, for something which is only a fraction of the qauality.

Regards,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Meredith

I'm fairly new to this hobby but I've wondered why Peco have never entered the RTR market (or maybe they have in the past?). With Lima now gone it might be a good time to start, maybe even take over the old Lima range.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

"Rob" wrote

Peco have dabbled with r-t-r, mainly in n-scale.

I can't imagine why Peco would want the existing Lima range; it doesn't sell, runs like a bag of nails and is inaccurate. That basically sums up why Lima are in the position they are with the UK market - poor product which is just too expensive to sell as a toy.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In message , mutley writes

The same way as people have been depicting Southern Electric stuff up to now, I assume.

Reply to
John Sullivan

"mutley" wrote

Heljan 47 and Bachmann 37 for starters; sure a nice 26 and 27 would be welcomed, but there are pleanty of Lima ones kicking around on the *used* market. Don't forget that class 20s are also promised from Bachmann as is a class 40 which will no doubt eventually appear with the Scottish headcode variation.

I seem to recall a nice range of BR Mk1 coached in blue/grey livery which are easily modified to SC prefixed numbers.

I don't see a very big hole there, unless you're desperate for a Clayton or somethine similar, but even that is available from TechCad if you're willing to meet their cost.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I don't think either Hornby or Bachmann would be too concerned with taking on the Lima moulds. The mechs are so out of date they'd have to be thrown away, and some of the bodies would have to be replaced entirely. Not enough in the Lima range is worth taking on. IMO Heljan would be a better approach, as they have far less currently invested in UK outline, and could easily work with the 'few' items that could be retooled successfully.

This basically highlights Lima's problem: A serious lack of investment in UK outline in the last decade or so has put them so far behind their competitors that all the moulds they have now are just not worth producing as anything other than a level above toys in comparison.

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

okie dokie i found this on an italian forum. it would be interesting to know what it's on about. Babel and Google don't half mangle it when i try to use them to translate it.

Isola Vicentina. Fine della corsa per la storica azienda di trenini. I sindacati: "No comment"

LA LIMA E' ARRIVATA ALL'ULTIMA FERMATA

I tre soci a Brescia hanno nominato un collegio di liquidatori

La Lima è in liquidazione. Ieri mattina a Brescia nello studio notarile di Anna Rumma si sono riuniti i rappresentanti dei tre soci della Lima, lo storica marchio di trenini elettrici, per decidere l'ultima fermata. E' stato nominato un collegio di liquidatori formato da due bresciani e un milanese. Si tratta di Valter Seddio, Alberto Falini e Pierluigi Tita. Dallo stabilimento produttivo di Isola Vicentina (un'ottantina di operai- artisti che riproducono miniature da collezione e dagli uffici amministrativi di Brescia (una ventina di impiegati) c'è perplessità e paura. Ma i sindacati ancora preferiscono non agire:"Attendiamo le dichiarazioni ufficiali di lunedì". Si resta, allora, con il fiato sospeso. Come a dicembre quando l'ennesima crisi aveva prspettato la chiusura dei cancelli della ditta di via Capiterlina. Ieri mattina a Brecia l'amministratore delegato Luca Ramella ha presentato le sue dimissioni. Poi si è preceduto allo scioglimento del consiglio di amministrazione e alla nomina dei liquidatori. "Le perdite sono superiori al capitale a disposizione (ma sempre meno dei venti miglioni di euro scritti ieri)" spiegano i liquidatorii che luned' dovranno accettare formalmente l'incarico. Pare davvero quersta l'ultima fermata per i trenini della Lima.

Da "IL GIORNALE DI VICENZA" del 12 Luglio 2003

Reply to
mutley

Lima....this

The is no debate until you accept that many (most?) of us would rather have Lima "warts and all" than not at all. It's as simple as that.

Adrian

Reply to
The Bradshaws

In message , mutley writes

THE FILE E' ARRIVE Á. THE LAST STOP

The three partners to Brescia have named a college of liquidators

The Lima is in liquidation. Yesterday morning to Brescia in the offices of Ann Rumma the are gathered representatives of the three partners of the Lima, the historian mark of electric trains, to decide the last stop. E' names a college of liquidators formed by two brescianis and a Milanese. Is drawn of Walter Seddio, Alberto Falini and Pierluigi Tita. From the productive establishment of Island icentina (about eighty workers - artists that reproduce collection miniatures and from the administrative offices of Brescia (about twenty employees) there is perplexity and fear. But the labour unions prefer not still to act: "we Camp the official declarations of Monday." It is stayed, then, with the suspended breath. As to December when the last crisis had prospected the closing of the gates of the firm of street Capiterlina. Yesterday morning to Brecia the managing director Luca Ramella has introduced his resignations. Then you/he/she is preceded to the break-up of the board of directors and the nomination of the liquidators. "The losses are superior to the capital to disposition (but less and less of the winds miglioni of European writings yesterday)" they explain the liquidators that luned's will have to formally accept the charge. It seems indeed quersta the last stop for the trains of the Lima.

From "The Newspaper In Vicenza" of July 12 th 2003

Still a bit mangled but better than Italian

Josh

Reply to
Josh Haigh

Os gwelwch yn dda........

Reply to
Colin Meredith

Cheers Josh.

i got it a bit clearer than that by translating it into french first, then to english. ( i won't repost it again, it's still mangled)

the story says that the unions are waiting for monday (or at least -a- monday) so i guess it isn't a complete full stop just yet whatever else it says.

other bits of news stories coming from Italy suggest, when translated, that the board of directors are going to place the company into insolvency, then regroup the brand completely clear of debt and carry on as before....

all just rumours though, and mangled (care of babel) ones at that :)

mutley

Reply to
mutley

You've forgotten one thing: Lima made more than just locos! Their parcels stock was quite respectable, and the underframe on the GUV in particular, was much better than Bachmann managed on their Mark 1 suburbans. It matched very well the dimensions I took from a prototype vehicle.

Personally, I'd hope to end up with a situation where East Kent Models have a pile of these underframe mouldings. Then I'll buy a pile of DC Kits suburbans to put on top of them!

Cheers, Francis K

Reply to
Francis Knight

I think you've put something down on your keyboard by mistake ;-)

Reply to
Adrian

It's true, you can never see a thing in front of you..... Diolch yn fawr iawn ichi...... Colin.

Reply to
Colin Meredith

"Colin Meredith" wrote

Welcome to cymru.rec.models.rail