Lima GWR Railcar Bogie Units.

Could someone point me at a Lima model which employs a similar short bogie unit? The gears have stripped in my old bus and I wouls hate to
scrap it!
Regards
Add pictures here
βœ–
"Sailor" wrote

Think they're unique to the GWR railcar. Hornby now make this model so you may be able to source a Hornby power bogie to replace the original.
No idea whether these have identical fittings, but I should imagine so - it's not like Hornby to modify anything unnecessarily.
John.
Add pictures here
βœ–
John Turner wrote:

The fittings aren't identical unfortunately. A Hornby replacement was my first thought, but when comparing both Hornby and Lima, it isn't a straight swap. It's certainly do-able but would involve a little bodgery. Basically, the Hornby motor unit is top mounted and the Lima one is frame mounted, so a new top mount bracket would need to be fabricated and the chassis cut around a bit.
--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk /

Could you not just buy a new Hornby underframe for it and fit a new Hornby motor to that?
Fred X
Add pictures here
βœ–
 Basically, the Hornby motor unit is top mounted and the Lima

I could buy a new one for the price of a chassis and both bogie units but I do like to keep my ancients as original as possible. I am also getting a bit ancient and have no chance of new parts! In any case, our ever cautious premier has cost me some 600€ per month off my pensions so the solution offered by Inter City Models at Porthleven is very welcome and quite a highlight amongst the miserable news of late. Peter A;
Add pictures here
βœ–
Try Inter-City Models. They import ModelTorque motors which are a direct replacement for the Lima motor. The Hornby motor and chassis is totally different. They are on 01326 569200.
Regards,
On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 10:40:13 -0700 (PDT), Sailor

Add pictures here
βœ–

At what sort of cost? I suspect it would be cheaper to buy another decent used example of the Lima railcar.

I know they're totally different, but that doesn't mean they won't fit or can't be made to fit.
John.
Add pictures here
βœ–
£19.50 each.
On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 10:38:15 -0000, "John Turner"

Add pictures here
βœ–
That's about the price of most decent secondhand Lima model locos.
John.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Thanks both of you. The outcome is that as stated when I looked at the Hornby service Sht it was clearly different. However, I phoned ICM at porthleven and Peter there kindly offered to sift through his pile of gears (from that model). Unfortunately the replacement motors still require the original gear trains. My letter is on its way and hopefully all will pan out! Cheers Chaps
Add pictures here
βœ–

Lima produced about 4 different sized spur gears, which were readily available as spares. These fitted about a dozen standard bogie mechanisims as well as tender drives and a few steam locos. Assuming there isn't something really odd about the GWR bogie you should find (with a little luck) that any 2 axle motor bogie of similar wheelbase will provide suitable gears. I've picked up bargain battered Lima locos at shows and from shop junk boxes as donors, and haven't yet had to fabricate anything.
Regards, Greg.P. NZ
Add pictures here
βœ–