Lime wash on cattle wagons

Hi Folks,

It's painting time, can anyone advise me as to when the practice of using Lime Wash to sterilise cattle wagons was discontinued? I have a feeling that it was after grouping - late 20s perhaps early 30s but Im not sure. I'm most concerned about the NW of England - ex LYR/LNWR if it varied between companies/regions.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Thought it was earlier than that, nearer to 1913.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Whoops, wrong again. Bob Essery - Frieght Train Operation.... says lime wash used well into Grouping.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

I read somewhere (about twenty years ago) that it was outlawed in the 1920s, I believe at about the time of the grouping or shortly thereafter. It would still have been in evidence for a few years after that.

All I have on the matter:

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

"Mike Smith" wrote in news:hbhjrr$1qu$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net:

Mike/Simon ... thanks to you both, it'd be nice to have the difinative answer but I should be safe for my grouping period layout.

Reply to
Chris Wilson