Model Rail - Gem Kit

: >> On 18/02/2009 08:30, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com said, : >>

: >>> Like most "complete kits" it didn't come with wheels, gears : >>> or motors. OK, that's usual, if not ideal for some, : >>

: >> On the lower end of the kit market what ought to be offered is something : >> like a "completion pack" to complete these 'complete' kits. There's at : >> least one advertiser in RM that apparently *only* sells kits complete : >> with wheels etc, which simply means that many people will go elsewhere. : >> Even if I modelled in OO I wouldn't use Romford wheels... : >>

: >

: > I live in New Zealand - by the time I order and receive a kit and find out : > what bits are required to complete, order and receive those, the best part : > of a year has gone by. : > : >

: : Most kits I've looked at have a recommended combination of wheels, gears etc : but as you imply you dont get that info until you have the kit.

Most half decent traders who specialize in kits will either know or check what is required to complete the kit. I really can't see how Greg's 'problem' is a problem, unless he chooses to use indifferent traders (and I inclued those traders who chose to sell basic kits but not the parts to complete them [1]) or is terminally stupid not to ask the relevant questions when ordering the kit!

[1] talking about vanilla flavoured OO gauge here, fine scale modellers know and accept that they may well have to order from two or more places.

Used to be a : problem but now happy with that as Andrew at Branchlines sorted me out with : simplest combination of gears/motor. Also by ordering kit in 4 parts it : avoids the £100+ entry on the card statement - very useful for those of us : not in control of finances. :

Also known as "The other half looks at the bank statements" and would have a fit if s/he knew that I was spending "How much on a model train!"... :~o

Reply to
Jerry

However you need to spend at least £100 on your credit card to ensure that if anything goes wrong (eg the retailer going bust) the credit card company is jointly liable with the retailer.

Alan

Reply to
Alan P Dawes

"Jerry" wrote in news:gni2f9$jld$2 @reader.motzarella.org:

When I buy a kit I only buy if I get everything (paint transfers, solder, glue etc excepted). I expect wheels, motor, gearbox, pick-ups - couplings I can live without.

However when placing the order I tell the trader that, he'll discuss what the options are and Bob's your uncle - I get a complete kit - it's just that it may come in half a dozen packages.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Agree its a safe way of doing things but I prefer to use branchlines supplied gearbox and gears if I think they will fit - used to check with Andrew. Also buy the motor from there to make it a higher value order. Using same components increases chances of getting it right one day :-)

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Part three this month devotes the whole article to fitting Romford wheels.

It's evident from the pictures that the coupling rods have not been completely removed from the fret. There is some mentioning of the relative difficulty of quartering. It will be interesting to see what is said about fitting the coupling rods, and how much slack has to be introduced.

One point I don't think has been mentioned is that if the rods are part of the same fret as the chassis and aligned with the side frames on the fret then there's less of an issue than if they are on a seperate fret as is often the case.

One obvious howler is the statement that chassis for DCC *must* [1] use two insulated wheels.

MBQ

[1] my emphasis
Reply to
Man at B&Q

: One point I don't think has been mentioned is that : if the rods are part of the same fret as the chassis : and aligned with the side frames on the fret then : there's less of an issue than if they are on a : seperate fret as is often the case.

That used to be the case, now with almost universal use of CAD software the fret can be on a different drawing (never mind fret) as long as the rods were overlaid with the C/L of the frames.

Reply to
Jerry

On 02/03/2009 09:14, Man at B&Q said,

That is the case here - I think the chassis is the Mainly Trains one, and I have the exact same kit in my "to do" pile. It's perhaps fortunate that Chris Leigh has chosen this as hopefully he won't have too much of a problem with quartering...

...although if he's taken a whole article on how to fit self-quartering wheels I have to wonder! This kit only has four coupled wheels - how on earth can there be any difficulties?

"Two" insulated wheels? This is a 2-4-0, so I hope there are at least three insulated wheels :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Nothing?

Not really. Lately I've been seeing the occasional message that was posted through Google groups as blank - nothing but the header. In this case, I read the "giant model railway" post from this poster fine, but this message shows as blank - which it isn't, according to the responses.

I'm using Firefox under Ubuntu Linux which may or may not be a factor. But it's always Google group postings, which lead me to believe the problem is there.

I've Googled the problem and found some mention of a similar problem in

2006 or so, but nothing current.

Has anyone on this group experienced similar blank message bodies?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

LOL! I, of course, meant to say two insulated wheels per axle.

Obviously, the owners who've already converted many live chassis locos must have just been lucky ;-)

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

If you're using Ubuntu then why don't you use your Pan newsreader? I must say I have had no problem with it in the many years I've used Ubuntu (now on Hardy). Mike in BC

Reply to
Michael Gray

: : ...although if he's taken a whole article on how to fit self-quartering : wheels I have to wonder! This kit only has four coupled wheels - how on : earth can there be any difficulties?

Modelling Folk Law...

Reply to
Jerry

: > I'm using Firefox under Ubuntu Linux which may or may not be a factor. : > But it's always Google group postings, which lead me to believe the : > problem is there. : >

: If you're using Ubuntu then why don't you use your Pan newsreader?

Well according to his headers he is. Can't quite work out why he mentioned Firefox!

Reply to
Jerry

Was wondering abouot that for a while - oh dear what have I done in using non-insulated wheels. Then applied common sense - the motor doesnt know where the power is coming from so there cannot be a problem.

Was also suprised that the article seemed to only cover wheels but said very little. Think that often the measure of this sort of article is what value does it add that exceeds that contained in the instructions for the kit. On that basis the first article was useful but this one is a bit sparse.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Forgot to engage brain before putting mouth in gear :-).

Yes, I'm using Pan. But as I said I don't think that's the problem. OTOH, nobody has yet responded saying they've seen the same problem.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

First one just now - but as a Firefox/Ubuntu user I've not seen this before. Just had a look on the Risc-OS machine and it's the same, so it looks like Google group issue of some sort.

(Don't bother Jerry, you're still kill-filed)

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamends

: > Well according to his headers he is. Can't quite work out why he : > mentioned Firefox! : : Forgot to engage brain before putting mouth in gear :-). : : Yes, I'm using Pan. But as I said I don't think that's the problem. : OTOH, nobody has yet responded saying they've seen the same problem. :

I'm with you on this, not that I have seen blank messages that came from a Google groups account but I do regularly see messages with garbled of missing (text threading) formatting - could PAN be stripping out badly formatted text due to the afore mentioned fault and thus displaying a blank message?

Reply to
Jerry

Thank you! Now I have some indication it's not just me :-). I'll check with Thunderbird ubder Linux and IE under XP and see if they also show the problem

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

OK - I checked using Thunderbird, still under Linux. It displays the aforementioned blank message just fine. But when I look at the message source I see strange "=" signs in the quoted text. They do not exist in the post being quoted, Google has added them. I don't know if that's the source of the problem, but it seems likely.

Thanks for the assistance - I guess I'll just put up with it as telling Google about it is a lost cause.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Those strange "=" signs are there because Google uses quoted-printable when quoting posts that are originally sent using format=flowed to allow for dynamic wrapping. So it's not a bug, as such, it's a configuration mismatch between their system and yours. That would almost certainly be the case on older systems such as RiscOS, which probably can't cope with newer standards such as QP and breaks when it encounters something it can't display.

I'm surprised it's happening using Thunderbird on Linix, though, as that ought to be compatible with it. You may find that you've got something set in the options somewhere that's not compatible with QP, possibly the default character set for incoming mail and news - looking at the headers of your post, you're using utf-8 while GG posts all use ISO-8859-1. If you try using ISO-8859-1 yourself, the problem may go away.

Mark

-- Blog:

Mark Goodge

Nice to know a certain person can't blame my use of Google for this ;-)

Does it also explain the problems of those few people who can't/don't/ won't quote properly when a post originates from Google Groups?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q