Model Rail - Gem Kit

I haven't seen any software (except, possibly, older stuff that has a problem with quoted-printable in general) that would fail to quote properly when replying to a post using it. Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express, of course, don't quote properly anyway, without the use of a third-party plugin, but that's a general problem rather than being specific to some encodings - they even break when quoting posts created by their own software.

Strictly speaking, Google Groups is actually more standards-compliant in this respect than software which treats news as if it were email and uses format=flowed. QP is part of the latest Usenet standards, while f=f isn't. But f=f won't break a client that doesn't understand it - to them, it will just appear to be hardwrapped rather than softwrapped, so it degrades gracefully. QP, on the other hand, will break in clients that don't understand it, with results that vary from merely containing a few odd characters to being totally unreadable. Even that isn't a problem if authors avoid 8-bit characters (such as pound signs and curly quotes) to begin with, as QP is only invoked if and when the characters can't be displayed in 7-bit ascii.

Mark

-- Blog:

Mark Goodge

You got it backwards. It works fine in Thunderbird, it's Pan that won't display it.

I'll try your suggestion about character set.

And my apologies to all for a non-rail topic - I'll stop now.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Or indeed RISC OS. ;-) Still being developed, too.

The post in question appeared fine on my system [1], the only time I've ever seen posts with no text is when the news fetcher's only downloaded the headers - which only happens when the post's over a certain size or cross-posted to more than five groups. Then I can have the body fetched should I wish to.

Notes:-

  1. Microdigital Omega running RISC OS Select 3i4 (RISC OS 4.39). News fetcher is Newshound v1.50-32 and email/news client is Messenger Pro v5.12.
Reply to
Graham Thurlwell

Nah, it's a Windows glitch -- MS uses "ANSI" character code, most other people use ASCII or Unicode.

Cheers,

wolf k.

Reply to
Wolf K

Keep up Wolf - it used to be the case but now windows has a multitude of codes and conversion tables. outlook has unicode available as an option.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

: >> : >>

: >>> Those strange "=" signs are there because Google uses quoted-printable : >>> when quoting posts that are originally sent using format=flowed to : >>> allow for dynamic wrapping. So it's not a bug, as such, it's a : >>> configuration mismatch between their system and yours. That would : >>> almost certainly be the case on older systems such as RiscOS : >>

: >> Or indeed RISC OS. ;-) Still being developed, too. : >>

: >>> which probably can't cope with newer standards such as QP and breaks : >>> when it : >>> encounters something it can't display. : >>

: >> The post in question appeared fine on my system [1], the only time I've : >> ever seen posts with no text is when the news fetcher's only downloaded : >> the headers - which only happens when the post's over a certain size or : >> cross-posted to more than five groups. Then I can have the body fetched : >> should I wish to. : >>

: >> Notes:- : >> 1. Microdigital Omega running RISC OS Select 3i4 (RISC OS

4.39). News : >> fetcher is Newshound v1.50-32 and email/news client is Messenger Pro : >> v5.12. : >>

: >

: >

: > Nah, it's a Windows glitch -- MS uses "ANSI" character code, most other : > people use ASCII or Unicode. : >

: > Cheers, : >

: > wolf k. : : Keep up Wolf - it used to be the case but now windows has a multitude of : codes and conversion tables. outlook has unicode available as an option. :

Also this problem is only being caused by Google groups messages, so unless the relevant Google server is running a MS OS and/or injecting the "ANSI" character code into Usenet...

My suspicion is still that it's something to do with the well known fault that causes the correct thread formatting to be corrupted.

Reply to
Jerry

One could:

- quarter each pair in opposite directions.

- put counter weights on incorrect wheels.

- use odd sized wheels.

- Axles in wrong axle slots. (2-4-0 and up)

- Cross thread Romford nuts.

- Tighten nuts with Philips driver.

- Metric threaded crankpins in BA threaded holes.

- BA threaded crankpins in unthreaded holes.

- glue Romford nut covers on before tightening.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.Procter

Err, well, sort of, yes!

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.Procter

You measure the diameter at the 17.5mm rolling contact point. (assuming you're operating 16.5mm gauge) That works out at about 1/2 of the way across the tyre towards the flange from the outer edge.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.Procter

That explains it, not the outside, not the inside, but half way. Suppose should trial with known one.

Thanks, Simon

Reply to
simon

As I almost managed to say, but didn't quite manage, the diameter is measured above the nominal rail center position.

Reply to
Greg.Procter

No further mention of quartering this month, but

"Test run the chassis by pushing it gently along a piece of track. There should be no tight spots."

OK, there are only two coupled axles, but wouldn't this kind of article be more useful if it had a few ideas of what to do when there

*are* tight spots?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Yep a bit thin again, not much more info than the instructions. Would be even more useful if explained what a tight spot appears like - its not obvious to a beginner. Plus the track should contain worse case curves in both directions etc... Even less obvious perhaps is how to determine what is causing the tight spot.

Perhaps the author should follow up the article with an offer of a clinic, beginners send in their problems for assistance. Could fill the magazine for a few years.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Some thrust washers are dished, curved or shaped like one circle of a spring so that they have flexibility to help cushion shocks that may be transmitted from the worm gear (worst case is a sudden reversal). eg see

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

Have reached conclusion that if theres a gap between the end of the motor and the worm then thrust washers are only required if that gap is less than the end float. Does that appear reasonable ?

What is an acceptable end float on say the average mashima ?

cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

It really depends on where the thrust bearing surfaces are located. They are usually internal to the motor and, given that the motor is reversible, on BOTH ends. If the motor shaft end float is MORE than the gap between worm and motor end, then it is reasonable that said end float is reduced to a bare minimum. The worm shouldn't need to be shimmed but should be centrally located over the worm wheel.

Always aim for zero without binding when the motor is at operational temperature.

Krypsis

Reply to
Krypsis

Zero end float on a motor shaft will prevent shocks in a far more satisfactory manner. It will also allow a much better bedding in of the brushes on the commutator as there will be no longitudinal movement.

Krypsis

Reply to
Krypsis

The end float is only a problem in the motor, where movement can change the position of the brushes on the commutator. End float on the gearbox input shaft shouldn't be a problem, providing there's something in there to keep the worm from digging into the gearbox housing at each end of it's movement. :-) In fact a bit of movement will allow the motor armature to turn fractionally before the drive is taken up, which might be an advantage.

I've never felt any need to shim a Mashima armature, but I certainly have with the likes of MW005, K's etc. The Faulhaber specs specifically state that their motors should be isolated from gearbox input shaft endfloat.

If there's no problems with your motor/gearbox combinations then I suggest you don't try to fix them!

Gearbox shafts alternately banging on the smokebox door and coal bunker would count as a problem!

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.Procter

Thanks, no there isnt and think youve confirmed theres unlikely to be.

cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

See in latest issue the body is completed. Suggests solder for those that feel confident (not me yet!) but demos using superglue. Can understand using it for bits that wont get any knocks or stress, but bit delicate for complete whitemetal loco body - anyone done that ?

cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon