London Road Models LNWR Brake van

Here we go again, started looking at this. kit. Instructions bit complicated and not many pictures. Got to bit wot says 'Solder axle bearings into the W-irons' but cant find or identify any bearings unless they are the cup shaped bits on the etch with the vertical slots - see the 7 bits at top of etch on

Any ideas ?

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Not on the etch.

Brass turned things, which typically look a bit like a top hat from the outside, with a coned hole in the middle. Usually supplied by the seller's of wheels, sometimes included with the wheels, sometimes an extra.

This is a sketch of one:

Suggest reading one of the many excellent books on constructing etched brass kits.

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

The bearings (normally) come with the wheels that you buy separately...

FYI, in profile the bearings usual look a bit like a Top Hat, although many have a chamfer were the top of the hat would be crisp bend IYSWIM.

Reply to
Jerry

Thanks, yes have a supply of those, but theres no mention of them in the otherwise comprehensive list of items required - will give one minor black mark for that :-)

Thanks again, Simon

Reply to
simon

: >

: > This is a sketch of one: : >

: : Thanks, yes have a supply of those, but theres no mention of them in the : otherwise comprehensive list of items required - will give one minor black : mark for that :-) :

With respect, "London Road Models" have always marketed their kits towards the 'experienced' modeller and thus such a basic instruction would be unwarranted (if not insulting) to many. :~P

Reply to
Jerry

Would agree with that if the required items list wasnt so comprehensive as to include paint. Whilst dont have extensive expreience as in years and years, am well into apprentiship and recon the instructions/diagrams fall between those that dont need them and those that need a simple drawing with parts labelled. Theres a heck of a lot of bits on the etch that are not required that makes guess work bit harder. Then the instructions say to fold with etched lines on inside and stiffen with solder - thats for us lesser mortals. I'm sorry, but if only kit designers would give the instructions to suitable persons for review or to someone who is bloody minded enough to try an build kit by following the instructions exactly - just like web designers :-) After lot of thought, interpretation, guesswork and confusion can see what is intended from the instructions but shouldnt have to go through that challenge.

A brake van is not exactly a complex model and doesnt have that many parts but

LNWR Societies web page is far more informative.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

: >

: > With respect, "London Road Models" have always marketed their : > kits towards the 'experienced' modeller and thus such a basic : > instruction would be unwarranted (if not insulting) to many. :~P : >

: Would agree with that if the required items list wasnt so comprehensive as : to include paint.

Hang on, livery info is not 'basic information', especially were pre-grouping stock is concerned.

: Whilst dont have extensive expreience as in years and : years, am well into apprentiship and recon the instructions/diagrams fall : between those that dont need them and those that need a simple drawing with : parts labelled.

Hmm, with respect, having to be told were you are likely to find the bearings for *your choice* of wheels suggests that you are not as far into your 'apprentiship' as you think - sorry...

: Theres a heck of a lot of bits on the etch that are not : required that makes guess work bit harder.

Yes, looking at the image of the fret suggests that to me too, but would you - if you were an experienced modeller, either modifying other models or even possibly on the verge of scratch-building - prefer either spare areas on the etch to be filled with sheet brass or useful etches at no extra cost?

: Then the instructions say to fold : with etched lines on inside and stiffen with solder - thats for us lesser : mortals.

Not really, for example the "W" irons could be folded either way and still work [1], but that would cause the assembly to be either to wide or narrow, only by measurement with venire or by the designer telling us in the instruction do we know which is correct.

[1] one could even strengthen the fold with a filet of solder on the inside of the bend

: I'm sorry, but if only kit designers would give the instructions to suitable : persons for review or to someone who is bloody minded enough to try an build : kit by following the instructions exactly - just like web designers :-) : After lot of thought, interpretation, guesswork and confusion can see what : is intended from the instructions but shouldnt have to go through that : challenge.

But that is what makes for experience. :~)

Reply to
Jerry

Couldn't agree more, having fallen foul of similar instructions. All it takes is a scan of the fret with the unneccessary/optional parts marked appropriately.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

No but it does say it doesnt include paint. Livery info is quite good, poss cos designer is in LNWR society.

But if say require paint but not bearings then recon its fair to expect bearings - perhaps they are supposed to be ?

Prefer the extra bits but oh no, I'm paying for them.

Every kit have done - including gearsboxes - does it that way as any experienced, but not bloody minded, modeller knows.

Have soldered the white metal body together using a basic 30w iron leaving only a couple of minor dents - well did you see the state of that van on lnwr site - so dont need any extra challenges for experience :-)

Thank you but have done a DJH Claughton where the instructions vary from confusing to plain wrong and a Mercian Peckett which had good list of parts and some good drawings but as have told Trevor am still waiting for the instructions.

:-)

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Couldn't agree more, having fallen foul of similar instructions. All it takes is a scan of the fret with the unneccessary/optional parts marked appropriately.

MBQ

==================================== Or a couple of suitable photos during construction on website

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

that reminds me, when should I put wheels in. Too soon and theyre in the way, too late and have to bend etch w irons - no mention in instructs.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

I've noticed that the UK model railway mags include "how to build kit XYZ" articles in just every issue. Weird. You'd think the mfrs would pay the writers a few pounds for the privilege of including the articles in their boxes. Mind you, it's not perfect on this side of the big water, either. Reviews of kits often include advice about how to avoid the the little glitches that the mfr didn't notice. ;-)

Wolf K.

Reply to
Wolf K

Too often it used to be someone who would spend the first third of the article detailing his experiences with the real engines, then say he threw away the instructions cos preferred his own method. Finally he replaced various bits with those from his own kit box after modifying major components for a one off.

The summary would say its a great kit straight out of the box.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Most of the kits I've built one has been able to 'flex' the W irons enough to get the wheels in, no need to bend beyond the natural springiness of the material - the only exceptions being those solid (complete) W irons/springs/axle-box type castings.

Reply to
Jerry

: I've noticed that the UK model railway mags include "how to build kit : XYZ" articles in just every issue. Weird. You'd think the mfrs would pay : the writers a few pounds for the privilege of including the articles in : their boxes.

But that would then blur the boundaries, reviews would start to be seen as adver-torials, not independent reviews.

: Mind you, it's not perfect on this side of the big water, : either. Reviews of kits often include advice about how to avoid the the : little glitches that the mfr didn't notice. ;-) :

The fact is, and has always been (so is unlikely to change), one can get 50 modellers, from novice to expert, and all would find different errors and pleasures whilst reviewing the same kit, many in direct contradiction to what the other reviewers say.

Reply to
Jerry

Yes indeed, it's interesting to see how much of some UK magazines is taken up with this information, which should be included with the kit. OK it's a bit different if the article includes modifications to produce different variants etc.

Reply to
airsmoothed

Normally yes, but these are very stiff, took quite a lot of pressure to fold them.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

: Yes indeed, it's interesting to see how much of : some UK magazines is taken up with this information, : which should be included with the kit.

Much of the modellers pleasure is, or should I say used to be, in researching the given prototype...

Reply to
Jerry

: >

: > Most of the kits I've built one has been able to 'flex' the W : > irons enough to get the wheels in, no need to bend beyond the : > natural springiness of the material - the only exceptions being : > those solid (complete) W irons/springs/axle-box type castings. : : Normally yes, but these are very stiff, took quite a lot of pressure to fold : them. :

I would still expect them to flex enough (without actually bending), if they are that tight are you sure that you have not over bent them? Do they look vertical and true, is it to late to check them with an engineers square and flat surface, such as plate/mirror glass.

Reply to
Jerry

Thanks, was being over cautious (had them break before), had to remove wheels to stiffen with solder but teyre back on nicely. So far its been quite easy when understood how things go, is looking and runningwell. Particularly like the rocking w-irons/axle giving a simple method of compensation - that is well designed.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon