London Road Models LNWR Brake van

Indeed it still should. I enjoy the choice of prototype to base a model on. What variation of fittings for a particular time taking into account transfer numbers I have left - avoiding duplicate digits, livery to get the best out of the outline (and easiest). Trying to go for an engine that was seen running locally or at a nearby shed.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Worse, reviews of ready builds include advice on making it work, :()

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Only the roof left now, seems to be nearly as much effort and time required for this kit as there is for some loco kits, thank goodness dont need a rake of em :-)

Hit large blank areas in the instructions, the sort that say fit such and such bits but give no indication as to how and with what parts. Saved by the lnwr diagram. Springs were difficult, nice detail, but had left it on then would have stuck out too far sideways, so cut off. Fixing for long step looked bit flimsy, but now understand the value of thick etch. Theres still lots of spare parts on etch - not all duplicates. There are 3 identical bits that have long thin bodies with a thicker short piece at each end (that has

2 wire holes in). They are on the upper part of etch next to main floor in photo on
. No idea where any of these go although they are in the instruction drawings next to drawing of brake gear assembly.

Would I do another one ? would I recommend it to anyone else ? As far as I know its the only available kit of an lnwr brake, so .....

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

They say that after the fist couple it becomes easier!...

: : Hit large blank areas in the instructions, the sort that say fit such and : such bits but give no indication as to how and with what parts. Saved by the : lnwr diagram. Springs were difficult, nice detail, but had left it on then : would have stuck out too far sideways, so cut off. Fixing for long step : looked bit flimsy, but now understand the value of thick etch. Theres still : lots of spare parts on etch - not all duplicates. There are 3 identical bits : that have long thin bodies with a thicker short piece at each end (that has : 2 wire holes in). : They are on the upper part of etch next to main floor in photo on :

. No idea where any of these : go although they are in the instruction drawings next to drawing of brake : gear assembly.

They *look* - and here I am speculating, I don't know the kit and not next to nothing about LNWR practise - like they are the brake operating rods (connecting one axle brake unit to the other [1]), possibly two are needed with a spare?

Reply to
Jerry

Tempted to say there is going to be a couple but already have a 51L horse box :-)

Thats what I thought - at least something to do with brakes - but couldnt see how. You can see the Z shaped bit that joins the huge wooden brake blocks and pivots on a rod through bottom of that bit that hangs down the centre in LNWR drawing. Assumed these were pull rods or cables to apply brakes and only real close viewing would reveal them so could ignore.

But now see the 'plate' bits are at the base of W irons with the wire thin length joining W-irons of the 2 wheels ! Dont know what they are for (LNWR Wagons Vol 2 has details of brake vans, vol 1 just has one good picture).

OK an hour trying to cut the roof plastic - nearly cut neat rectangle but realised roof isnt as its 3" wider at the veranda - and now find still got 2 bits to add. Of course the correct way to fit them is drill holes in W irons and fit wire through etch bits into w-iron. These give good hold and look like rivets, which is how steps fitted :-)

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

They are tie bars that join the bottom of the W-irons. Search "tie" on this page

You got the required number correct.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

They are tie bars that join the bottom of the W-irons. Search "tie" on this page

You got the required number correct.

MBQ

Thanks, now know their name as well :-) Next bit of research - guards uniform or dress in 1920's.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Uniform, definitely, unless it's his day off.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Uniform, definitely, unless it's his day off.

MBQ =========================== Need photos after Andy Breen pointed out driver often used to wear white jackets :-)

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

"simon" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

Woooooshhhh ...

Reply to
Chris Wilson

: > Uniform, definitely, unless it's his day off. : >

: > MBQ : > =========================== : > Need photos after Andy Breen pointed out driver often used to wear white : > jackets :-) : >

: > Cheers, : > Simon : : Woooooshhhh ... :

Long-johns! :~)

Not unheard of for either drivers or firemen to strip off down to underwear and boots after being attacked by the effects of a stray water crane bag or a reluctant (to lift) water-scoop...

Reply to
Jerry

Yes and no, did smile when realised what had written but this is too serious. 20 hours effort and what would I (or my estate) get for it - the price of the original kit ? Am taking this one with me when I go :-)

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

After checking few years of LNWR journal, found 2 photos of guards van with guards. Unfortunately one photo is of the rear (of the van) and shows the supports for steps are kinked and steps should be further out. Knew something might be wrong as had put steps in correct vertical alignment buut the supports extended too far down. Instructions....

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

"simon" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

:-)

Best answer to your query that I can think of is that I'd say that it depended on date but generaly speaking (IIRC you're doing that wonderful period around grouping) I'd expect black trousers and jacket (both railway issue with hat also railway issue, the chap would probably be wearing clogs (yes clogs) and depending on time of year a oil cloth mac, muffler or open necked with collar less shirt (without Jkt in high summer). The shirt would be white in all likelyhood.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Thanks, yep tis a great time to model (and research). Got to get the magnifying glass out for the photos have found but sounds about right.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon