model railways direct?

Is Model Railways direct a reputable company to deal with over the net?

Thanking you in advance.

Reply to
ezra kowadlo

If you mean the one using the website

although I've never actually used them, the website itself apears to be professionally run and meets all legal requirements. It's also a fairly busy website, by model railway standards, which is also a good sign.

The two things that would put me off buying from them are the lack of an email address on the "contact us" page - instead, they just supply a web form for email - and the requirement to register before making a purchase. But that's poor design rather than any indication of bad practice; if neither of those bother you then that's not a problem.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge

Thanks Mark.

Ezra

Reply to
ezra kowadlo

Mark,

From my search on the net, Rails of Sheffield looks like it could be easier to buy from over the net? Do you know anything about them?

Ezra

Reply to
ezra kowadlo

I've not dealt with them, but I have dealt with Gaugemaster and Hattons, both of whom were satisfactory.

I'm now off to have a look at model railways direct... Hm, they don't seem to offer anything not available elsewhere, so I guess it is just a price/instock choice.

Reply to
bobharvey

Rails of Sheffield have a very good reputation; I've bought from them in the past and would have no hesitation doing so again. If you're looking for second hand stuff then their eBay shop is also worth perusing, although you do need to bid sensibly as a lot of eBay auctions tend to end up at inflated prices.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge

And many of the bits I would be looking for come up as 'not available' ... while historic information is useful, dropping items that are not available would allow one to find items that are easier ;)

Reply to
Lester Caine

They can be a bit slow in delivering and not very helpful when you enquire about your order, in my limited experience. I prefer to use hattons or support my local shopd wheer possible. Kernow are alos worth a look if you are buying on price.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

I have not looked at the site, but if it does not provide a trading address and the names of the proprietors who are conducting the business, then it does NOT "meet all legal requirements" under EU law.

Reply to
Gareth

It does. It's got all the legally required information on it, including trading address and VAT number. it's just that these aren't really relevant from a customer services perspective - email is far more useful in this respect.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge

So why bother posting?

Reply to
manatbandq

It is important that those who would be the customers of Internet-based mail order know that they are dealing with a bona fide business and not a fly-by-night operation that will disapppear as soon as credit card details are revealed.

Why did you bother to post?

Stupid boy.

Reply to
Gareth

I did at least take a quick look at the site and was please to see a telephone number and proper details ... I can quite understand why the 'email' is not included and the contact page is a suitable secure replacement. I would expect to receive a reply with a usable email address if I wanted to contact them.

Posting a warning if you did NOT find the site met your requirements would have had a point, but not bothering to even check ........

Reply to
Lester Caine

That's why MG checked and said "meets all legal requirements".

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Surely you, as well as others, would wish to be reassured that you would be dealing with a bona fide firm, and would welcome foreknowledge as how to identify such firms when trading over the Internet?

Reply to
Gareth

Had you bothered to simply glance at the site you would have seen that your coments were a waste of time. The reasurance would have been appropriate if you said 'I've dealt with them' rather than 'I can't be bothered to look' ;)

Had *I* found something that was suspect THEN I would have reported that ... As it is all I find is a site that is out of stock of anything that I might be interested in buying :)

Reply to
Lester Caine

Hattons and bargepole - although it is nearly 10 years since used them. If going on price then I like Rails, theyve always been quick at delivery for me as well.

However if you want reasonable price, quickest delivery and highest confidence in product and retailer then go for John at 53a models. he doesnt have website ordering, but answers emails very quick like. Phone him in the morning and if its in stock is usualy in the post by the afternoon to be delivered the next day. Thats just standard post as well.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Both of the above are a pleasure to deal with. They are well used to dealing with overseas clients and automatically deduct VAT outside the EU. Hattons provides a personal touch by identifying the staff you deal with, as well as providing a range of ways of contacting them by phone, fax, email, snail mail or in person at their retail shop. Gaugemaster adds a £2.00 "small orders handling charge".

Reply to
MartinS

But at their retail shop won't let you use their toilets even though you carry a card explaining the medical reason why you need quick access to the loo. I will never purchase from them again.

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Emery

..

Perhaps if you had worded your message differently? As it was, quoting from the person who had checked and reported that it was OK, it just looked like you were trying to implying that poster didn't know what they were talking about.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq