Model Shop Overcharged and then Refused a Credit

G'day All, Also most overseas customers request no invoice so that they can avoid Custom Duties. Graeme Hearn

Reply to
Graeme Hearn

It wasn't. I received an auto reply from the one item I ordered online to give them my CC details. They had asked me to just Email that information to them, but I thought that unwise.

No final listing was given via Email or in the box. Maybe that's why they couldn't refund my VAT- they didn't even bother to record the sale other than via my CC total.

I'm guilty of not stating the obvious in this regard. I order from several other shops, and it's a given that VAT will be deducted. The merchant in question has deducted VAT in the past, although it's been a few years since I last ordered. They advertise in the mags, and note that they sell overseas, so this isn't anything out of the ordinary for them. Besides their response to me clearly showed they knew they should have deducted the VAT but neglected to do so. Here is their one line response:

"Sorry but the VAT deduction was missed; we are unable to now claim this amount back as the transaction has been completed."

Frankly, I'm going to let this one drop. I suspect we've got a lazy employee on the shop PC. The individual who declined to refund the VAT as a credit towards a future order didn't sign his Email response.

Next time I need Shawplan, I'll just send a snail mail letter to Shawplan, versus bothering the folks in Kidlington.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Swindon

Write (a letter, not an email) to the shop saying that they will never get your business again. It's also worth writing a letter to Railway Modeller describing the events, although it's up to you whether or not you name the shop.

Then let it drop.

Cheers David

Reply to
David Bromage

Right, so you are suggesting spread more dirt around suggesting it is the trader's fault when the error appears to be at least partly the customer's.

Great idea.

Reply to
Brian Watson

With a lot of the small builders trying to avoid vat because it puts there prices up 17.5% and makes them non competitive you would have to be an idiot to build 17.5% into your costs, unless you are in a non competitive environment and can get away with it. If somebody who is not vat registered is claiming to add vat I hope that they get well and truly done. The poster was obviously expecting a vat free sale, I assume they are abroad, so it looks either dodgey or stupid.

Kevin

Reply to
kajr

(illegally)

Read the original post! "they have deducted VAT in the past"

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Please explain how you think this works.

The value of the package has to declared on the CN22 label on the

*outside* of the package. It makes no difference if there's an invoice inside unless customs get suspicious and decide to open it up. Unless you are suggesting that traders are actually invited to lie and misdeclare the value of the package?

One scam I am aware of is to not include the shipping costs in the declared "value" of the package. They should be included and are subject to duty and VAT when importing into the UK.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

customer's.

I haven't seen any dirt. Seems like it's been a pretty fair discussion.

If you order an item and it shows up broken because of poor packaging, is it your fault if you neglected to instruct the seller to carefully pack it? No? It's an expectation that the seller knows his business.

This seller sells overseas and admitted it was his mistake in not subtracting VAT. Forgetting to subtract VAT was his first error. The second was not taking responsibility for his error and refunding the sum, especially under the favorable terms outlined, i.e. a credit towards a future order.

I certainly would not argue against someone who felt strongly enough to send a letter of complaint, although I doubt a magazine would care. The shop owner might, assuming he got the letter instead of his employee who could just drop it in the trash bin.

There's lots of other fine merchants in the UK...

Peter

Reply to
Peter Swindon

But it seems sooooo long ago.

Reply to
Brian Watson

On 23/03/2005 15:54, the author Brian Watson wrote,

...and along these lines, if you have to sign of of those old-fashioned swiped credit card forms, make sure you blank out any leading spaces in the total box. I had a trader (from a model railway exhibitions some years ago) add a "1" in front of the total after the transaction. Fortunately, I check my card statements and keep the receipts, so could prove what I authorised. I got a refund, but I never got to know what happened to the trader!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Evil.

I don't suppose the card handlers care enough to prosecute him for obtaining pecuniary advantage by deception, or whatever the current description is that covers it.

Reply to
Brian Watson