Modern dail rail charters

The modern day (2000 -05) rail charters and specials (i.e. football/rugby) that are run, do they normally only use rakes of mk 2 or are mk 3 mixed in sometimes. Anglia railways for example.Any one know any coach formations?

Reply to
Piemanlarger

Don't forget the Pullman (VSOE and Northern Belle) sets that are often used for trips to the races etc. The 2005 "Royal Ascot" event (actually held at York because Ascot is being rebuilt) turned up both sets at York with 67 haulage. Northern Belle is predominantly Mk 2 anyway - ex-Manchester Pullman coaches. I believe that the regulations these days allow Mk1's to be used, as long as they aren't "end" vehicles - there has to be a Mk2 or 3 as a "barrier" vehicle. That certainly seems to be the case with the last few railtours I've seen past my back door.

Cheers, Mick

Reply to
Mick Bryan

Mk1s are allowed at the ends of rakes provided they aren't carrying passengers, ie empty BSKs, BG/generator coaches.

Reply to
Rich Mackin

Thanks for the clarification Rich. Are "support coaches" allowed? i.e. not carrying fare-paying passengers?

Mick

Reply to
Mick Bryan

WHY?

Reply to
Rob Kemp

Mk1's are not considered "crashworthy". Which is why the SR MK 1 based EMU's have been phased out over the last few years. Exemptions have been given for railtours and heritage lines to use Mk1's but with various restrictions - in the case of preserved railways - speed. In the case of main line use - the use of stronger "barrier" vehicles such as Mk2's. H&S gone mad IMO!

Cheers, Mick

Reply to
Mick Bryan

Thanks Mick, that explains that. Just be glad your not here in the US where PC is stuuuupid! I cant even call some one a daft c#$t with out getting a strange look! Rob

Reply to
Rob Kemp

Completely mad. Until your charter hits something and half the train comes telescoping through your 40 year old mark 1 at 70mph.

Stuart.

Reply to
Northern Bloke

Support coaches are ok - it seems Mk1s are allowed on the ends if they're carrying crew.

Reply to
Rich Mackin