Modern Image Sale Bachmann Lima and Hornby

Are you implying that Bradford IS the pits?

If so, you would be correct.

Reply to
MartinS

My ancestors left there, (well, some of them, anyway) which suggests something wasn't to their liking.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Hey, we have something in common!

I left there (well, a neighbouring town that is now a part of Bradford Metro) 38 years ago and have no inclination to move back.

Reply to
MartinS

"MartinS" wrote

Maybe, but they've got a good Rugby League team, not that you North Americans would understand what that means! :-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I'm from Keighley, mate. Used to go and watch them beat the **** out of Hull K.R. Good old Eddie Waring!

Reply to
MartinS

That, and a passing interest in model railways?

Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

"MartinS" wrote

Eddie's long brown bread and Hull KR are as good as ............ hallelujah!

Old Faithful, we roam the range together ............

Now tell me you understand that! :-)

John. Extolling the virtues of the black & whites!

Reply to
John Turner

Well, that too! I used to buy my 3-rail Hornby Dublo from the shop near my school, still in business as Frizinghall Model Railways. It used to be run by W. Hubert Foster, well-known photographer of full scale railways and contemporary of Bishop Eric Treacy.

Reply to
MartinS

I had to Google.

- The Words To old faithful are not correct. It will never change from "Boulevard's white with Clover" and there are other errors..."Old Faithful/ We'll roam the range together / Old Faithful / In any kind of weather / When the round up days are over / And the Boulevard's white with Clover/ For you old faithful pal of mine

- the sports stadium in Hull is the Kingston Communication Stadium

- The new Hull FC song (with spellings correct): Ooooooooooollllldd Faithful, We roam the range for ever, Ooooooooooollllldd Faithful, in any kind of weather, when the round up days are over, and the KC's full of clover, old faithful Pal of mine.

- Hull has two rugby league teams. There both rivals. Hull F.C. are from west hull and Hull Kingston Rovers the east of hull. Seperated by the river Hull. Also a great football team Hull City Football Club. Wallowing in the third division but should be in the premiership by now.

Reply to
MartinS

"MartinS" wrote

Smart arse! ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

As I recall that's nowt to write home about!

-- If Your specification is vague or imprecise, you'll likely get what you asked for not what you want

Reply to
GbH

I think that's the same place my Aunts used to buy me stuff - a big pile of Graham Farish track back in the 1960s when imports were restricted here. Well, it's 40 years ago and the invoice was the least of my worries but Frizinghall sort of rings a bell.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

If you don't like to read my posting regarding my occasional ebay sales of locomotives and rolling stock, then the simple solution is to either not open any postings from my address or to create a filter.

I have seen others advertise on ebay and make mention on this list so I really don't understand the problem, and if I have offended anyone then sorry.

Just on a final note I sell occasional lots of OO gauge locomotives and rolling stock as a hobby and certainly not as a commercial entity, I have noticed that some commercial model rails shops advertise there wares on this list.

Emma

Emma

Well, it used to have its own character, but now it's been subsumed by Bradford Metro.

Reply to
MartinS

"Emma" wrote (SNIPPED) , I

It's a fair point Emma, and if you are referring to the Liverpool and Hull Shops (and there are others I understand), They tent to be only announcing items which are in demand and are fresh in stock- NEW items, not ones purchased a short while ago, run or stored... They often counter the "Advertising" articles by contributing on other topics - John (Sorry Mate) for instance will be one of the first to help if someone has a sticky or noisy motor, with good sound advice, or can pass on their own knowledge or skills of the modelling trade, so therefore I can accept the odd "announcement" of what's new in stock - it may be something I want!

I also see nothing wrong with someone who is genuinely trying to earn a living, who has shop overheads of rates, electric, phones, water heating etc, ontop of their own domestic bills, So I would on every occasion rather go to a business with a premises, where should there be a problem, it can be returned, than to someone standing on a swap meet or advertising on E-bay.- Not that there are not genuine people selling items on E-bay, before anyone jumps!

These are my opinions which may or maynot reflect the opinion of members on this group, some I know will not....!

-- Andy Sollis Churnet Valley Model Railway Department (Remove the Standard Tank from E-mail to reply)

Andrew Sollis CVMRD

HKR?

-- If Your specification is vague or imprecise, you'll likely get what you asked for not what you want

Reply to
GbH

In article , MartinS writes

In the '50s I used to by my second hand Tri-ang by mail from The Model Shop, Lumb Lane, Bradford, as it was the cheapest in the country.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Hammond

John Turner wrote:- Maybe, but they've got a good Rugby League team, not that you North Americans would understand what that means! :-)

I say:- I'm sure that the 40,000 plus people who play rugby in the USA, let alone those in Canada, would know what you were on about!

Reply to
Another one bites the dust!

At in news:3facf72c snipped-for-privacy@mk-nntp-1.news.uk.worldonline.com, Another one bites the dust! sprayed:

Suspect that proves John's point!

Rugby League is closer to football than Union!

-- If Your specification is vague or imprecise, you'll likely get what you asked for not what you want

Reply to
GbH

"GbH" wrote

I suspect so! :-)