Most purposeful UK steam

Hot on the heels of the elegant/ugly threads. How about nominating something that looks like it's supposed to do something.

My nominations;

1) ALL the BR Standards, especially 71000 "Duke of Gloucester", and also including the 72000 "Clans" as they (IMO)look slightly better proportioned than their bigger sister Brits

2) Q1

Cheers, Mick p.s. Can't wait for DoG back out on the mainline - now that is one kettle that out boils anything else!!!!!

Reply to
Mick Bryan

In message , Mick Bryan writes

I'd go for the Black 5s, 8Fs and the WDs.

Reply to
Spyke

I always thought the LMS Duchesses were both elegant and businesslike. And for freight/mixed traffic, the Black 5s. For some reason, I find tapered boilers very attractive...

Reply to
MartinS

Raven T3, or failing that either a Worsdell T2 or P3.

Reply to
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN

Again, I'd have to say the std class 4MT 2-6-4. Sorry, I'm biased! Badger.

Reply to
Badger

"Mick Bryan" wrote

WD 2-8-0 a true workhorse built on a shoestring. True Austerity! :-)

#John.

Reply to
John Turner

The message from "Mick Bryan" contains these words:

I quite like the Duke, but a Black Five looks much more purposeful than any of the Town 'alls.

HaHaHaHaHaHa!

Reply to
David Jackson

What about a castle in full steam along the devon sea front

Reply to
Keith Griffiths

In message , Keith Griffiths writes

At least they didn't have problems with their electrics when a storm ws blowing.

Reply to
John Sullivan

"Keith Griffiths" wrote

There's a static one on the North Wales coast which is much more appealing! Conwy! :-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

For me it has to be:

Most purposeful:

1)8F 2)black 5 3)v2

Most elegant:

1) Valenced A4 2)stirling singles 3)princess
Reply to
Craig Douglas

But they never got around to putting proper valve gear on it!

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Salvé "Mick Bryan" skrev i meddelandet news:c28d9d$rj1$ snipped-for-privacy@news6.svr.pol.co.uk...

Just to be different the ng-2-6-2 saddletank(NCC 109) of the Ballymena-Larne railway (1880-1934) with it's stunning performance on the

3ft gauge line over the mountains to Ballymena sadly I am FAR too young to have seen one on full song 8( Beowulf
Reply to
Beowulf

Yay!!!! V2 Rules!

Reply to