Most elegant UK diesel

Gotta be a maroon Western with a set of matching Mk1's.

No contest. cheers, Mick

Reply to
Mick Bryan

Deltic prototype :o)

--

***
*** Updating regularly throughout 2004 Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin.co.uk)

The Wickham DMU at Llangollen looks very elegant to me!

John.

Reply to
John Lancaster

I tend to agree with that. Plus the Voith hydraulic whine.

Reply to
MartinS

"John Lancaster" wrote

As an art-deco fan this beautiful dmu would have to get my vote too.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I don't think any of them are particularly "elegant" which I why I like them so much...

Best utilitarian good looks go to the Class 17 "Clayton".

Best looking DMU, I say the late lamented Class 123 Trans-Pennine.

And in the special Most Rampant Beast category: Class 56!!

Reply to
Jim M

How about the cutest? Class 24 in two tone Green :)

Alan

Reply to
Gyle TMD

For all my admiration of the Westerns, I don't think elegant is a word I'd use to describe them. Something like "stark" or "gaunt" somehow strikes me as more apt (and I think golden ochre was the most suitable livery).

Sticking with WR, though, I reckon the Hymeks (in two-tone green with white cabs surrounds and small yellow panel) would be the most elegant. The designer obviously took trouble over every inch of them.

Andy Kirkham

Reply to
Andy Kirkham

nicest shunter... class 07 center cabs on Southampton docks... very saucy!

Reply to
UncleWobbly

Green Deltic, D9012 Crepello. Not that I'm biased in any way! (I once drove it!) or maybe the baby deltic as aclose second?? Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Hymek in two-tone green

David

Reply to
David Chorley

"Mick Bryan" <

Even though they were Western Region, probably the most handsome diesels in the world, ever, no matter what colour they were painted.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

My choice would be Class 40 or 55, then 37.

Bevan

Reply to
Bevan Price

Hmmm, as nobody has said it I will.

I think the class 33s fit in here.

33008 in green and 33012 back in the 80s with the bandit look! (black window surrounds) On a set of mark 1s on the good old Pompey Bristol.
Reply to
Mike in Sussex UK

I got a ride on one of these when it turned up at Hitchin in place of the usual Cravens for my trip home from school in the late '60's. Even unsophisticated schoolboy eyes couldn't ignore the 'Wow' factor. Shame these were a bit too refined for the rough and tumble of BR operations.

Cheers, Francis K.

Reply to
Francis Knight

Whils't normally diesels are plug ugly...... I'd go for the HST power car

43xxx class 60 or a 03 shunter.

Reply to
Craig Douglas

Well, for elegance I'd have to plump for the Blue Pullmans.

-- potter55(at)ntlworld.com

Dave Potter

yep - always had a soft spot for cromptons - many a happy hour spent behind (or in front of) one.... got several on my tracks - gotta when you model southern.

I used to live on the Isle of wight and traveled back to London some weekends. One Sunday, the usual thumper at Reading for Basingstoke was replaced by a 33+single 4TC combo - put in a *VERY* lively performance! Top days, all sadly now but a memory... the railways just seem like a glorified tramway now with the bland mix of E/DMUs on everything passenger and a diet of 66s on freight. I now the southern was all EMU stuff but there was also diesel hauled passenger stuff... 50s storming out of Waterloo etc... greta days. Oh for a time machine... 1968 here we come :o)

Reply to
UncleWobbly

Very wise words Uncle Wobbly! For a time every Sunday produced 33/1s and TC sets, this was to allow the

3Hs to be serviced at EH the TCs and cromptons being spare from Wtlo - Salis and Bomo runs. As you say, oh for a time machine :-)
Reply to
Mike in Sussex UK