5 most pivotal figures in UK modelling

For the sake of a good arguement, and in no particular order, here are my top 5 as seen by an (Aussie) outsider:

  1. John Ahearn (Madder Valley)
  2. Cyril Freezer
  3. Jim Russell (Little GW)
  4. David Jenkinson
5 Pendon - if I have to pick a name, Roye England

*-Now I am not a dedicated student of the UK scene, so the spelling of 1 and

4 I am not too sure about. Quite willing to be corrected. And No 2., because he showed me what it was about in my early days as a modeller in the 50's and 60's. I have a soft spot for CJF.

Steve Newcastle NSW Aust

Reply to
Steve Magee

I' would agree with the list below although surely Iain Rice should be in there too? Mike H

Reply to
jimedvic

I'd say that Chris Ellis has to be in there somewhere, OK he's primarily a military modeller but I have seen him do plenty of railway stuff as well.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

I'd add P.D. Hancock (Craigshire) and Peter Denny (Buckingham)to the list

- for me (and I suspect many others of my generation) their work more or less defined what a model railway *ought8 to look like. Ian Futers for bringing the "minimal terminal" back into prominence.

Reply to
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN

The message from snipped-for-privacy@aber.ac.uk (ANDREW ROBERT BREEN) contains these words:

Well, that saved me some typing....Thank you, Mr Breen. ;-)

Reply to
David Jackson

Steve,

I agree that these gentlemen all have had some input into the UK model railway scene, but I think you left out people like Henry Greenly and W. Bassett-Lowke who definitley did shape the UK model railway scene - like it or hate it :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

"Jim Guthrie" wrote

What's Frank Hornby done to annoy you? I'd suggest his impact was far greater than ANY of the names mentioned so far!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"David Jackson" <

Ditto.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

John,

I thing Greenly and B-L pre-dated Hornby as far as model railways were concerned, and the pair of them left us with our peculiarly British scale/gauge ratios :-) Mind you, it has given us a lot to talk about up till now, and will no doubt for many years to come. I don't think Hornby, or any of the other names mentioned so far, could achieve that :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Frank Hornby?

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

Phillip Hancock is also one of the nicest men I've met. But if you are an O gauge type Jack Ray has to get a place for his involvement with the Guild.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

Salvé "Steve Magee" skrev i meddelandet news:ljQ1c.2780$ snipped-for-privacy@nasal.pacific.net.au...

Cyril Freezer thought that A.R.Walkley was the originator of our hobby (HO anyway...) I would definately have him as N01 on the list.... Beowulf

Reply to
Beowulf

salvé "John Turner" skrev i meddelandet news:c2af71$suf$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreaderg1.core.theplanet.net...

Agreed but AR Walkley is still there at no1 befoe these :) (He invented HO

3.5mm scale) beowulf
Reply to
Beowulf