Ugliest UK diesel

It has to be the Fell locomotive, doesn't it?

--

***
*** Updating regularly throughout 2004 Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin.co.uk)

I dunno - I find it rather appealing, in an odd sort of way. Ugly would encompass such visual offences as the Metrovick Co-Bos, the Brush type 2, the 1020x trio (what *were* they thinking..?) and the class 58. The design panel did some good work in the intervening years, though - the worst that could be said about the worst that appeared under their ageis was that it was dull (as witness the class 56, boredom made visible)

Reply to
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN

I dunno. Can I have the Kitson-Still here too? After all, it was a hybrid diesel-steam loco.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Illingworth

class 22/29

Reply to
UncleWobbly

"ANDREW ROBERT BREEN" wrote

Beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder; only today I was looking at a photograph of a pair of Co-Bos on The Condor in the early 60s and was thinking just *how* attractive they looked.

Mind you I also like the Brush 2s (class 31s), class20s and the 58s, so maybe I'm just perverse?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

salvé "John Turner" skrev i meddelandet news:c2af51$st7$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreaderg1.core.theplanet.net...

Dear John, You're a Yorkshireman ofcourse you're perverse! I think the 02 and 08/9 are amongst the ugliest diesels ever on any railway the 02 definately requires a face lift, and just to be REALLY heretical I dont think the Westerns were very aesthetically pleasing either! Beowulf

Reply to
Beowulf

give me a hug?!??! give me a hug?!?!

the "give me a hug award" must surely go to the 24 - looks like a great big bad tempered teddy :o)

Reply to
UncleWobbly

Oh, comeon, how can you resist the sad, "I just need to be loved please", "please give me a hug" face of a 29? The 08/09 on the other hand...... yeuch! Strange then that I find the 20 quite appealing. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Definitely. Though I do agree with you re. the 20. As for the co-bo, were there 2 different designers doing an end each? Teehee. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

I suspect it's the usual one with aethetic judgements - opinions may differ. After a deal of head-scratching I came up with class 221 as "most elegant", which I expect might put me in a minority too. That said, I've always liked the look of the 20s, so we can agree on that at least :)

Reply to
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN

Are we allowing units? If so, the 140.

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

All of them!

But especially the 58, 66, 20, 06, 24, 40,

Craig

Reply to
Craig Douglas

I slightly prefer the 222 to the 220/221 - the front-end is only slightly different but looks way better to me - I think it's the bit beneath the coupler that sets it apart from the Voyager cab.

--

***
*** Updating regularly throughout 2004 Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin.co.uk)
Reply to
Rich Mackin

Separate category for units, in which case the 140 walks away with it really :o)

--

***
*** Updating regularly throughout 2004 Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin.co.uk)
Reply to
Rich Mackin

Not seen a 222 yet, but I'm not keen on the visual impact of the inside-frame bogies on 220. It looks - odd - to my eyes. Maybe, though, that's how Mr. McConnel's engines looked to folks when they came out.. ;)

Reply to
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN

Take a look at the current issue of Modern Railways, Page 84, bottom-left corner 0:o) Not that I have an ulterior motive for suggesting that, or anything....

--

***
*** Updating regularly throughout 2004 Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin.co.uk)
Reply to
Rich Mackin

Already did :) That said, to me 22x look a *lot* better in the metal than in pictures, so I'll postpone judgement until I see a 222..

Reply to
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN