MRE Mag

Hi All It's not only models on Pat Hammond's site. A recent announcement in MReMAG gives details on a new book published by Ian Allan that may be of interest to SOUTHERN readers "Locomotives in Detail 4 - Maunsell 4-6-0 King Arthur Class" Author: Peter Swift ISBN: 0711030863. this may be a prelude to Hornby bringing one out maybe John could tell us all seeing he is in the know and all that !!!! :o)) :o)))

All the best Steve.

Reply to
The Parkys

"The Parkys" wrote

I sincerely hope not! There's enough Southern stuff sitting unsold on my shelves as it is.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I hate to say it, John, but might that be down to the fact that you are in the north of England? Down here there certainly is plenty of call for more southern models!

Reply to
John Ruddy

"John Ruddy" wrote

Oh I don't doubt that at all, although we do have a steady sale for items of GWR origin. I was, however, once informed that something like 75% of UK model railway sales was to people living to the north of London.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

You mean there are actually people living to the north of London? How very quaint!

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

Hi John Would that be "Watford" as my maps don't go any further than that !!! they say past Watford it is just a wasteland of brush and scrub???

PS What about this King Arthur 4 -6- 0 from Hornby ?

Sorry :o))) All the best Steve.

Reply to
The Parkys

"The Parkys" wrote

Clearly a man of little knowledge everyone surely knows that life exists north of Watford - even those erstwhile London footballers from Wimbledon FC moved their home ground to Milton Keynes, which even this Yorkshireman knows is north of Watford.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Poor old John always takes the bait! Anyway - why don't you advertise all those Southern models you've got sitting on the shelf? If the prices are competitive enough I'm sure you could shift them pretty quickly. I've looked at your website and there's no mention of them. Regards, Paul.

Reply to
paul_afrancis

Well, you won't be surprised to learn that down here in sunny Wimbledon, any mention of those erstwhile footballers will provoke a furious response, accompanied by much spitting on the floor.

Fortunately, we now have Wimbledon AFC, who are working their way to the top, so who knows, 14th May 1988 may happen again in my lifetime!

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

wrote

Only because I want to! ;-)

Didn't you notice the !!!

Because I guess I'm not desperate to sell them. I've never gone out of my way to sell specific items of new stock, and if the need ever arises they can always go on eBay.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Good heavens! How ancient is your map?

Surely by now they must have ones that show everywhere north of Watford is covered in mills with chimneys belching out black smoke, row upon row of tiny terraced houses with outside toilets, and populated by stranged stooped figures in flat caps wearing some kind of wooden shoes?

Reply to
crazy_horse_12002

Hi John

You still have not answered my P.S . What about this King Arthur 4 -6- 0 and M7 0-4-4 from Hornby that I have been told about in good faith.( No names no pack drill) And if there is no call for Southern stuff why have we heard about Bachman doing an unrefubished 4-CEP Hornby will do a 4-CIG, not sure on if it refubished or not Replica will do a BR design 4-EPB. and MLV.

From a man of (little knowledge) South of the Thames Weybridge Surrey yes the "POSH" part !!! All the best Steve Parkinson. P.A. C.D.M. d:o)

Reply to
The Parkys

Hi I have also heard tell from my Father (G.r.h.s.) that a chap that he knew went past "Watford" once and that every front room in there tiny "two up two down" houses have these long tin things called Ferrets that catch Rabbits so they can cook them in BIG pots over open fires to feed there hundreds of children each house has. The chap my Father knew said the man he spoke to was a man by the name L.S.Lowry and all he would do all day was sketch and draw things of the sad life up there !!

He brought a picture from him and yes you are correct !!!

It is covered in mills with chimneys belching out black smoke, row upon row of tiny terraced houses with outside toilets, and populated by strange stooped figures in flat caps wearing some kind of wooden shoes? (Singing Match stick Men and match Cats and Dogs)

All the best Steve ( :o)) )

(Joke)

Reply to
The Parkys

The message from "The Parkys" contains these words:

Something I've always wondered... When you buy a new suit, or your missus gets a new dress, how long does it take you to stitch those buttons all over it? Or do you buy clothes with the buttons already stitched on?

I've seen pictures of *south* of Watford, and I've always wondered why you go to all the trouble. Do the buttons help to keep the jellied eel juice off your suit when you're having your breakfast?

Reply to
David Jackson

"The Parkys" wrote

It's easy to promise, let's see what the reality is. You seem to have more information than me, so why ask?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"David Jackson" wrote

I think it's as a result of an inferiority complex - southerners need bright & shiny - they equate it to value.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I'm quite a bit north of Watford but there are no mills, chimneys, smoke (black or otherwise), terraced houses nor wooden shoes. Admittedly there are still a few outside toilets but only as "backup" to the toilet indoors. No railways either

Reply to
Bruce Fletcher

Ah, clearly you have been watching that well known ITV programme "Every Southerners Guide to North of Watford" - more commonly known as "Coronation Street". After all, it must be true - it's in colour.

(Slightly tongue in cheek, but as a northerner living in the south I have actually been told that it has been seen on Corrie, therefore it must be true!)

David Costigan

Reply to
David Costigan

Enzo has some fantasies about that. ;-)

On a recent visit to Greater Manchester, I saw many rows of Coronation Street type terrace houses. Most of them were empty and boarded up waiting for the wreckers and redevelopers. Many have been damaged by subsidence caused by the (now abandoned) coal mines beneath Manchester.

Reply to
MartinS

But you've got Highland Park :-)

Jim.