My DCC progress

I received a Lenz Compact for my birthday and bought a batch of decoders from Mr Turner (best price of anywhere I looked, postage at cost and next day delivery, you really can't complain!!) and I have been spending evenings fitting chips to locos.

I have so far done Bachmann classes 24, 25, 40, Warship, 46 (old type), Heljan Hymek and 47 and Hornby West Country and Merchant Navy (neither with sockets).

I have two locos that are giving me real difficulties in that I cannot get the bodies off either! One is my second Heljan 47 and the other is a Bachmann 08.

On my first 47 the body just lifted of when the tabs where released but I cannot persuade this one to part at all. I have put card between the body and the tabs but it will not shift and there is nothing really on the chassis to apply any force to. The fuel tanks/ battery boxes detach and i really don't want to pull on the bogies.

With the 08, I have removed the 2 screws under the couplers and tried to relese the tab at the rear with a screw driver, but again the body shows no sign of movement at all and I worried about breaking something with the amount of force that seems to be necessary. The body still seems to be held in vicinity of the tab so I am not sure I releasing this correctly.

If anyone can offer any advice or tips to get me inside these locos I would be very grateful!

ROB

Reply to
Robert Flint

"Robert Flint" wrote

The following explains the body removal from the Bachmann 08 -

The Heljan 47 is really easy (in a difficult sort of way). It literally is only a clip fit, but the body is so tightly fitted that it's a nightmare to remove. Just a question of easing the clips and working at it I'm afraid.

One thing I found to be an aid to body removal on the latter was to superglue the fuel tank mouldings in place and leave over night to set. You can then use the secured tanks to help easy the chassis away from the body.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Gluing the tanks on is a good idea, I will try it tonight. I have been following Steve Jones' notes for the 08 but I still can't get the bl**dy body off!

ROB

Reply to
Robert Flint

Another tip -if you can - is to remove the buffer beams and put small screwdrivers straight down the holes then get someone else to hold the body and gently pull the screwdrivers, DONT lever, just at 90 degrees, solved one of my most difficult 47 bodies in seconds !

Reply to
David Skipsey

Try this page for the 08:-

and this page for the 47:-
(kim)

Reply to
kim

David

Can you give me a tip on how to remove the buffer beams? The body on this loco just does not want to budge! I have superglued the fueltanks on and pulled with as much force as I can but it does not even give a fraction of a mm. (and before anyone suggests it, there is no excess glue that is securing the body to the chassis!)

ROB

Reply to
Robert Flint