Need help with PC programs.

Hi all I have only just found this group by chance and as it is the nearest I can find to what I`m after which is hopefully advice. If what I am about to ask about is not covered by this group I`m sorry and just ignore me.

Right here goes.

I have always had an interest in railways and all thing railway related and I have always wanted to have a mobel railway, but due to lack of space, time and money it has always been just a pipe dream.

Now however that I have a PC I have been looking at Model Railway software of which I have found 3 and was wondering if firstly any one can tell me which one would be the best. The three are

Hornby Virtual Railway 2. GSP Make Your Own Model Railway. & Create Your Own Model Railway Deluxe

I am not interested in Trainz or MS Train Sim as they are train drivinfg sims I want Model railway building and running.

Also if anyone runs any of the above are there any layout design software programs which you could recommend for designing layout for any of the above programs?

Like I said I don`t know if what I am asking is against group rule and if it is please feel free to delete this post or if anyone can tell me of any news groups or forum address which deal with any of the three programs I have listed could you please post them for me .

Thanks.

CapMan (Keith).

Reply to
Keith Stokes

Keith I don't know whether or not you've decided upon the scale to which you will eventually be modelling but regardless of scale I'd recommend you have a look at the websites of:

  1. the Model Electronic Railway Group (MERG) who deal with most aspects of computer control regarding model railways

and

  1. the model railway design software package Templot , not an easy piece of software with which to get to grips but it is very powerful and flexible. Martin Wynne, its creator, provides excellent support via a Yahoo group.
Reply to
Bruce Fletcher

I wouldn't dismiss Trainz so quickly,it has a very easy to use editor (unlike MSTS) that can create model or real railways.And using 'DCC' mode,the trains are easy to control.Trainz has always been more of a Railway sim than a Driving sim.

Neil.

Reply to
mumbles

And in reply "Bruce Fletcher" wrote

For Bruce: Keith said "model railway building and running" and I am not sure I would want to recommend Templot for such an activity.

Templot is a truly exceptional piece of software for what it does, and what it does is to make it easy for those of us who are into hand building our track to obtain the templates we need to do so. What it DOES NOT DO is allow you to "operate" a layout after you have designed it (at least those I know who have it have never said that this is possible and I have never seen it mentioned on the Templot group).

There is a similar product marketed by the publisher Kevin Robertson called Trax. This package does a slightly different job in that as well as producing "simplified" templates to build individual elements of track you can also test the logic of your planned wiring before picking up the soldering iron, even AIUI electrical interlocking between points, signals and track feeds; but again, no operating...

And for Keith: Sorry, I can't help you. The only one I know of that will do what you are asking is the Hornby Virtual Railway.

Elliott

Reply to
Elliott Cowton

Hi Elliott, Keith, Bruce,

The software you are looking for is called "3rd PlanIt" from

Design your model railway, switch to 3D view, add some trains, run them on the screen. Switch back to 2D, change the design, print out your track plan, whatever.

Here is a video created in 3rd PlanIt, showing a cab ride on an amazing virtual layout created in 3rd PlanIt by Paul Charland:

The snag is that all the rolling stock and structures are American designs -- I don't know of any UK-style stuff available. You could always create your own

-- 3PI is a powerful CAD program.

Templot is for track design only. But you can run trains on the screen on your Templot track design using 3PI, or use 3PI as a means to view your Templot track plan in 3D, "walk" about over the tracks, fly over them, etc. Amazing stuff! Export from Templot as a DXF file and import it into 3PI.

For more information about all this, join

regards,

Martin.

----------------------

Martin Wynne

...read what the OP actually said rather than what you think he said!....

Reply to
:Jerry:

Hi Jerry,

You could also try to add something useful to the discussion, before pressing Send.

Martin.

Reply to
Martin Wynne

Perhaps you might consider coming off your high-horse and allow people to try out your software on their own system before taking money off them - no doubt without any money back guarantee if the software isn't what they want / need!

Reply to
:Jerry:

Hi Jerry,

I'm not "taking money" off anyone. What makes you think anyone is forced to buy anything from me?

If you don't like what's on offer -- don't buy it.

Martin.

Reply to
Martin Wynne

Not that you give people a lot of choice - 'buy my product or f*ck off, you're not going to find out if it's what you want unless you buy it first'... You're not related to that other arrogant software developer, Mr B. Gates, by any chance?!

Reply to
:Jerry:

Hi Jerry,

You have a very clear choice. You can buy Templot if you wish, or can choose not to. Just the same as buying anything else.

I fail to see what is arrogant about offering my property for sale and specifying the terms on which it is available.

The arrogance seems to be on your part -- because you want something you seem to be assuming the right to dictate the terms on which it must be supplied to you.

Martin.

------------------

Martin Wynne

Err, no, many (I'll admit not all) software vendors offers trail downloads.

So if someone buys your product and then finds that it's not what they require you offer a full refund if the software is returned?....

I don't want anything more than to know what I'm buying, if that makes me arrogant in your opinion so be, it says far more about your total arrogance than it says about me.

Reply to
:Jerry:

The Templot web site gives a very good description of what the software does and if you look at a few of the tutorials, that will give you a good idea of how it operates. And you can also join the Yahoo mailing list as a non-owner and ask more questions there. You're not exactly buying a pig in a poke.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

How does that allow someone to actually try out the software?... Duh

Reply to
:Jerry:

It does not but the Templot website and the Templot Yahoo group give the reader a very good idea of the capabilities of the software and the extremely good support that is available. There's even a chat room where you can often talk one-to-one with the creator of the software.

Reply to
Bruce Fletcher

Exactly, thank you...

Reply to
:Jerry:

Hi Jerry,

I'm sorry that it is not possible to offer a trial version of Templot. I have recently explained the reasons for that at:

If you are not sure if Templot will meet your needs, the first step is to join the Templot user group at:

There are tutorials and videos which you can access, and over 600 group members you can ask for their opinions and experiences.

Also, Templot is now widely used across the hobby. It is very likely that you can find a fellow club member or a user near you who would be willing to show you Templot working.

Please be aware that Templot is intended for modellers who build their own pointwork. If you prefer to buy ready-made pointwork, there is other software available which is more suitable than Templot for that.

regards,

Martin.

-----------------------

Martin Wynne

Well, if you cannot be bothered to scan through the tutorial there is little more to be said.

Reply to
Bruce Fletcher

WHOOOOOOSH....

Tell me 'Brains', how does reading the manual allow me to try out the software on my system?

Reply to
:Jerry:

Hi Jerry,

The Templot tutorials and videos are hosted on the Templot web site, entirely independently of Yahoo.

In addition, it is possible to take part in the Templot user group without using email or making any contact with Yahoo. See:

regards,

Martin.

Martin Wynne