Not a "dog collar on legs"

A report from the Ely-Standard.

Professor Stead set up a magnificent model railway in the hostelry's

13th Century attic which delighted the young choristers and also has a book published on railways called "The Birth of the Steam Locomotive - A New History" which is just one of many titles to his name.

Dragon Heart

"Dragon Heart" wrote

Never got to see this but I understand it is O gauge. Didn't know it was there while I was slogging through piano lessons downstairs with his wife 35 years ago...

The poor old boy is in a care home (well, he is 94) so the present state of the layout is unknown since the Steads' last move from Haddenham a couple of years ago. If you're anything to do with the Ely MRC (I'm not: independent modeller who hangs out with the Fenland EM Group) how about arranging a display of his stock at the show next May? Not much O to be seen there, especially since Professor Stead's is likely to be historic older stuff. (And most of his "many titles" are dazzlingly recondite tomes on theology, his day job - very unwordly bloke even in his youthful days...)

Tony Clarke

Reply to
Tony Clarke