Off Topic - NZ Steam

Gents, I realise this a bit off topic, but I'm in the middle of putting together a New Zealand Steam based layout. Back in the dim and distant past, I remember owning a VHS video entitled 'Steam Lives On'. Twas a Christmas present and despite my initial reservations that it would be tosh, was actually pretty good and stirred my interest in NZR. If anyone could point me in a direction to aquire a copy I'd be most grateful. It was made by a company called 'Speciality Films' which I think was part of the NZ National Film Unit. If it's impossible to aquire it, there were 2 1960s b&w documentaries on it, entitled 'Kb Country' and 'The Ride of Ww 480'. Again if anyone could point me in the direction of a copy of one of those I'd most grateful.

Reply to
James Christie

Heres one,

Google is your friend;-)

Everything in NZ is NZNFU. Hopeless bunch too.

I have had the pleasure of riding 2 steam locos in NZ (The Kingston flyer and when I was a kid a steam jaunt at Rotorua). As well as sitting in the cab from Palmerston North to Wellington in a Diesel in the 80's. Never forget that, hit a big bolder some kids rolled onto the track, and just turned it into pebbles. Put a dent in the front. The driver was a friend's dad, he was so pissed off at the bolder being there. Should of heard the swearing;-) He probably should have stopped but the train hardly even flinched.

I Also used to hunt around Taumaranui, had to drive past the Raurimu spiral to get there, what an awesome site. Has to be seen to be believed.

CU

Mark

Reply to
Mark Bedingfield

In message , Mark Bedingfield writes

Well done that man! I'd done a few sweeps of Ebay, but didn't pick it up. Obviously don't have the gift! Right then, back to playing with my Ww...

Reply to
James Christie