[OT] Railways...

In the unlikely event anyone here is interested, there is a very long thread about railways, railway movies and a certain railway TV commercial in the Babylon 5 newsgroup. The thread heading is "Something completely different". The group can be found at uk.media.tv.sf.babylon5

Whatever you do please don't mention the subject of Babylon 5 or its writer as that is a very sore point with posters right now.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Bit like Basil Fawlty not mentioning the war :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

??? They don't talk about Babylon 5 on the Babylon 5 newsgroup????

That's a bout as much use as talking about a Live 8 Concert on a model railway news group ! :-)

Andy

Whatever you do please don't mention the subject of Babylon 5 or its writer as that is a very sore point with posters right now.

(kim)

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

I don't mind people discussing Live 8 here as long someone mentions railways once in a while.

There have been more posts about railways in uk.media.tv.sf.babylon5 over the last few days than there have here and many of those have been from women.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

But it wanders off topic...

And there's a humongous thread on politics...

Reply to
MartinS

We are currently discussing "Disaster on the Coastliner" (1979) with William Shatner.

Not exactly. There was a slanging match on a US message board between the leading UK B5 fan (Paul Harper) and the series' writer. That led to accusations of racial prejudice and legal threats on both sides. Now it's difficult to mention anything about the series without offending someone or other. I occasionally forget and post something about B5 by mistake. The 'politics' thread began as a piece of sarcasm by one of Paul Harper's supporters. It is long since dead.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

OK.... How many Performers today have train sets? :-) Rob

Reply to
Rob Kemp

North By North West.

Reply to
Rich Mackin

Concerning a certain railway advert. I've got most of the film references but not being a big Cary Grant fan I didn't know which film he was "sampled" from. Can the group inform?

Reply to
Les Pickstock

"Jim Guthrie" wrote

Many, many years ago (1977 from memory) I was holidaying in Majorca and one evening ended up in the bar with my wife and a crowd of lads from Germany. As Sue wasn't feeling too bright, she shot off to bed early and left me at the bar alone. One of the Germans came up and asked me to join them, but he said

"Be careful - it doesn't matter about the wars, but don't mention the 1966 World Cup Final."

I didn't and didn't have to buy another drink all night. :-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Rob Kemp" wrote

Roger Daltry (The Who) is an enthusiast, but hasn't currently got a railway (according to my mate who spoke with him a couple of weeks ago).

John.

Reply to
John Turner

LOL! Good one! Reminds me of "Auf Wiedersehen, Pet".

Reply to
MartinS

I remember watching the "live" version of The Railway Children in 1957. It terrified me as I'd just witnessed an accident at Coventry station where an elderly man was almost killed. The Virgin ad is practically an invitation to kids to play on electrified lines.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"North by NorthWest"

Thanks. I'll have to watch it the next time its on.

With regards to the thread about Live8 and performers who like trains.

I don't know if Rod Stewart perfomed yesterday but I know he's a keen Model Railway enthuiast. And although he's not a performer, Pete Waterman could be said to have the ultimate train set.

Reply to
Les Pickstock

Elvis Costello, Rod Stewart and Eric Clapton are (allegedly) model railway fans.

Although not a performer, Pete Waterman has been known to dabble a bit... :-)

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

The Coronation Street group rarely talk about Coronation Street! ;-)

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Good point, Enzo.

Reply to
MartinS

Elvis Costello, Rod Stewart and Eric Clapton are (allegedly) model railway fans.

Although not a performer, Pete Waterman has been known to dabble a bit... :-)

On the subject of Mr Waterman (LNWR Crewe) I hear the Super D will be moving to its new home (The Churnet Valley Railway) and start running in VERY soon (Maybe Tuesday....) !!!!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

I just *have* to see that Super D. Maybe Hornby can be persuaded to make a model of it.... right after the Claughton! ;-)

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

The Underground stayed open for an extra hour to get us home.

How about that?

Reply to
Brian Watson