Plate Girder Bridge - pictures wanted

I've been trawlling through google for past few hours looking for colour pictures of plate girder bridges - found lots of refs to model bridges, B/W
pics etc but no colour suitable.
I'm looking for pix to use as a reference for painting, in particular rust, grime, weathering etc . Whilst probably not making a lot of difference, pix from UK would be nice.
Any ideas ?
Cheers Mal Oz

Sorry ca't help you with pics however I may be able to assist you with colour. In the main they're black, highlighted with black and with the details gain picked out in black. Seriously the vast majority of the bridges are painted with a very long lasting, hard wearing black paint that is very rust resistant.
For instance on the old East Lancs Railway bridge (*) over the Ogden just as it joins the Irwell hasn't had a train over it for nearly 40 years and still last time I looked a couple of years agao showed no signs of rust.
The colour fades somewhat to a dark bluey grey other than that the only real staining to be found on these kinds of bridge is underneith where bird dropping collect on the girders used by roosting birds and where there's a lot of vehicular traffic under the bridge the undersides will get covered in a grey/brown grime caused by the traffic.
Failing all that in many areas nowadays the bridges are painted all sorts of colours in all sorts of patterns as part of a process of gentrification of run down (or tourist) areas. This is quite a modern idea though that I've only really noticed occouring on any sort of widespread basis over the past 10 to 20 years. Other than that it's back to black.
(*) The one on the now defunct Helmshore line rather than the Rawtenstall(**) one 50 yards or so away.
(**) Now operated by the new East Lancs Railway, idiots that they were in preserving the wrong line.
HTH
--
All the best,

Chris Wilson

So you reckon I should just paint it black then ??
;-)
Thanks mate
Cheers Mal Oz
"Draconus" wrote

Nope - there were very many examples painted in (let's call it) battleship grey and more recently in a light green colour. I don't recall seeing many (if any) in black, although of course in the steam era they may have weathered that way.
There's no substitute for a photograph, and ideally one specifically of the bridge being modelled.
John.
On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 14:45:51 +0100, "John Turner"

Depending on the modelling era. At one time the big four used their house colours. I don't know if this was general though. I suspect the practice became less common as paintwork got simpler.
Draconus is right though - too many modelled bridges look pristine even after the effects of smoke and weather.

Well that rather shot me down in flames, genuinely never seen a grey bridge, must be something "To do wi that lot on t'other side ot Pennies not doin t'job proper" ... not that Yorkshire folks having a reputation with us Lancashire folks for being tighter than a ducks a*** :-)
--
All the best,

Chris Wilson
"Chris Wilson" wrote

That'd explain them all being grey this side of t'hills then - grey paint was generally what you got if you mixed all the slops together, and it'd be cheap! ;-)
John.
John Turner wrote:

Down this way medium green, blue with red pin-striping, and dark grey (once black)....

You mean, as in:
"I see a plate bridge and I want it painted black... No colours any more, I want it to turn black.. I see the trains go by...."
(apologies to Mick and the lads)
Cheers, Steve

The one up the road from me which carries the Coventry-Nuneaton line was battleship grey but is now rust coloured with holes in the side big enough to put your fist through. Water also pours through the sidewalls onto the pavement below but whoever is responsible for maintenance has thoughtfully provided a sign warning pedestrians that the surface is slippery.
http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/images/cyclingtowarwick/2005/03/02/12_albany_road _nuneaton_line_railway_bridgequeens_road.jpg
http://tinyurl.com/pem9o
(kim)
"Chris Wilson" wrote

Are you sure it's black? I note what you say about fading, but looking at some bridges close up suggests to me that the colour was a dark elephant grey with slight metallic sparkle as of some mineral being added to toughen the surface. Newly painted bridges and old ones alike (such as the disused bowstring bridge at Yarmouth which I was photographing on Saturday) seem to be the same grey, and even if it were nearer black, allowing for scale colour effect it ought to be rendered as weathered grey in model sizes. (The coating definitely seems to be a paint rather than a plain tar/bitumen),

And the inside of the girders near the track will be browned to track colour by spray from the wheels.

The fashionable colour scheme of NR these days seems to be two-tone green. Spinach and eau-de-nil, yum. Modern synthetic weatherproof paints seem relatively immune to fade so you're not restricted to all those stable dull lead-based colours of yesteryear.
One the subject of model girder bridges generally, I find that most of them look unsatisfactory and study of prototypes is necessary, especially underneath. Most of the models look insufficiently butch for the purpose, even allowing for speed restrictions over them. An egregious offender is the Airfix/Dapol girder bridge which is neatly done but in terms of its girder struts seems more suitable as a road bridge over a river - even as a single track it looks like it ought to be beefed up with internal diagonal struts, or two bridges cut about to make a double layer. The base plate is also hopeless, seeming to be little more than plate steel in appearance - and with those strength-sapping gaps along the centre line! - whereas there would be steel beams and lattices below the track to provide 3D bracing against bending and axle loading. The Peco plate girders are better, but you still need to make a properly braced underframe, as well as having a plate girder between the tracks instead of just as an outer coaming.
Tony Clarke

Yup, I've already been hauled over the coals for that one, apparently outside of Lancashire and other similar places where quality counted (*) they used a cheap grey paint with mica flakes in it Rather than a last (nearly) forever bitumen based paint, I've lost the post now but a chap very helpfully responded IIRC that he actually used to make the paint and apparently the grey stuff is favoured over the black stuff as it can be sprayed on whereas the bituminous stuff has to be painted.
(* Just a little friendly snipe at Yorkshire :-) ...

I used an Airfix turntable as a basis for a bridge on my last layout, keeping the deck and upper works I used some girder section rod to build up the undernieth and even if I say so myself it looked quite good. Advertising hoarding stuck on the side. Worked well it was for an industial line so the over all size worked well.
--
All the best,

Chris Wilson

That were me, Chris.... The micaceaous (sp?) stuff was anything but cheap, otherwise I'd have used it to paint my wheelbarrow- it was also very heavy relative to the other 5 litre tins we used to handle. Brian

Cheers Brian it was actually quite an interesting post. With regards to cheepness, don't mind me I'm still sniping at the the followers of teh inferior railways on the wrong side of the Pennines, LMS (well at least the the L&Y/ELR part) and the GWR - black bitumious paint, what more does anyone need to know if the GWR did it, it had to be right :-) <ducks for cover>
--
All the best,

Chris Wilson

There are some colour pictures circa 1962 of steam in stations showing plate girder overbridges on the ex- Great Western Railway's Fairford branch in BR steam days, on David Howse's web site at:
http://www.d.m.howse.btinternet.co.uk/gallery.html
"Draconus" wrote

I've not gone looking for grey bridges, just plate girder bridges. Here are recent offerings from my www.53a-pix.co.uk website:-
http://www.53a-pix.co.uk/picture/66565b-NF-081104.jpg
http://www.53a-pix.co.uk/picture/20309-LD-060904.jpg
http://www.53a-pix.co.uk/picture/158768b-BH-151003.jpg
http://www.53a-pix.co.uk/picture/66059-NB-020902.jpg
http://www.53a-pix.co.uk/picture/60091-SK-110802.jpg
http://www.53a-pix.co.uk/picture/66151-ST-180602.jpg
http://www.53a-pix.co.uk/picture/158909-MN-030502.jpg
http://www.53a-pix.co.uk/picture/91130-DR-080402.jpg
http://www.53a-pix.co.uk/picture/56074a-MN-140801.jpg
http://www.53a-pix.co.uk/picture/158867-CW-280601.jpg
http://www.53a-pix.co.uk/picture/158769-PR-230401.jpg
http://www.53a-pix.co.uk/picture/60008-MF-220201.jpg
but not a black one in sight.
John.

But to be fair, those are all pretty modern/up to date images, it's not as though they're pictures of a real railway. :-)
--
All the best,

Chris Wilson
"Chris Wilson" wrote

Agreed, so our friend Mal should state what period he's wanting to model, then I'll go dig out pictures of plate grider bridges in whatever period is relevent, but I recall bridges being grey back in the 1960s, and sadly I don't think I've much in the way of colour material from then or earlier.
John.

I tried to beet you to it. I've just been through your public 50s, 60s and 70s pages. Got to confess I was looking to be a smart a**s by directing you to one of your own photos. No joy :-(
--
All the best,

Chris Wilson
Thanks all. to honest the 'black' bit suprised me a little, as most of the ones I have seen on models here were various shades of grey - but pristine with little or no aging or weathering.
Thanks for the links to pictures - they will help to inspire.
Out of interest the bridge I am trying to model is the plate girder carrying the GER over the A143 from Haverhill to Bury St Edmunds - in early sixties - have no photos of it, the abutments remain but the girder bridge has been replaced by a steel walkway. My version will take the road over the railway though.
Have had a friend take reams of shot of the abutments but she couldn't find a time machine to go back and shoot the bridge ;-)
Cheers Mal X