Private Owner Wagons

Hi,
I am looking at creating some private owner wagons for my layout set in
the west country, and wanted some information on liveries. There are a
few listed on the HMRS website, but I was looking at the many books
which have photographs of wagons.
My problem is that many of these books dont say where their wagon
photographs come from, and I was hoping that someone could give me the
details of 1 or 2 books which would have a lot of wagons from this part
of the world, rather than a sprinkling from everywhere? I'm rather
hoping that I wont have to buy all the books!
Regards,
John
Reply to
John Ruddy
Sorry, I should have said. I am looking mainly at the grouping period, although the majority of the photos I have seen published seem to have been published at any time from the 1890's through to nationalisation. I would imagine that the majority of wagons built in 1898 would still be running around in 1948.
Reply to
John Ruddy
This is the website of a company called Wessex Wagons. This chap produces a lot more than is shown on the website. For example at a recent show he produced a special accurate reproduction of a coal wagon from a merchant that used to be situated in that town. As well as the wagon models he sold a virtual library of pamphlets about private owner wagons. All of his models are based on photographic record. Hope this is of some help.
Reply to
D808
Thanks, I was aware of them, but was hopng for some details to make my own unique models, of prototypes which arn't currently available elsewhere.
Reply to
John Ruddy
What about the HMRS photo collection?
and select your area of interest, and get a copy of any that are applicable to you.
Kevin Martin
Reply to
Kevin Martin
In message , John Ruddy writes
Very likely, but the liveries would have changed as - companies were taken over, and wagons were repainted in the livery of the new company. - wagons that were on hire were returned to the company they were hired from. - wagons from one company were sold to another. - wagons were overhauled, and repainted in the latest livery of the company.
Reply to
Jane Sullivan
MAP did a very useful little book that divided PO wagons regionally and gave lots of photo examples. Don't know if it is still available, but you are welcome to scans of photos from your region.
Tim.
Reply to
Tim Christian
I've had a look there, but there are only a few which are applicable to me. They don't list all of the private owners in the area, though no doubt the list will increase as more volunteers contribute.
Reply to
John Ruddy
Thanks Tim, have you got any more details so I can see if the book is still available? If not, I would like to take you up on the offer of some scans, if possible.
Reply to
John Ruddy
John, book is:
Peter Matthews, 1973. Private-Owner Wagons. Model and Allied Publications Ltd. ISBN 0 85242 3438.
Presumably, rights were acquired by Nexus.
The book (one of the most useful 48 pages I've seen) also contains detailed 7 mm scale drawings of the RCH 1907 and 1923 PO wagon spec. There are 72 photos or drawings of PO wagons from the late 1800s onwards, including vans, tanks and specials.
Reply to
Tim Christian
HTH
Nathan
-- Posted via NewsDemon.com - Premium Uncensored Newsgroup Service ------->>>>>>
Nathan
John,
I suspect that the book was made from a collection of Peter Matthew's PO wagon series which ran in the MRN during the 60s, so getting your hands on old MRNs might be a last resort if you can't source the book.
Jim.
Reply to
Jim Guthrie
Well, most of the books with photographs of PO wagons are anywhere between £15 and £30. Thats why I didnt want to have to buy 8 or 10 of them just to get pictures of the selection of 20 wagons I want.
Reply to
John Ruddy

Site Timeline