RAF Scampton's Grand Slam

Actually the Carriers were being emptied for a much sadder reason, so they could use there space for troop transport for freed POW's.

It was not as wasteful as you might think as the planes were generally time expired airframes, landing on carriers really hammers them.

Reply to
estarriol

"Keith J Patrick" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

B17s at Burton Wood surely?

Reply to
Chris Wilson

With or without streamlining?

Reply to
Christopher A.Lee

But whatever you do never, ever mention Woodhead Tunnel

Reply to
Bruce

Why?

Reply to
Robert Wilson

Christopher A.Lee wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

LOL

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Or Lancasters at Elsham Wold...

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

Oh dear, what have you done! I did say never, ever mention Woodhead Tunnel. Now the men in black helicopters will come an interrogate to find out how you came to know about the S*******c R*****e

Reply to
Bruce

Bruce wrote in news:o_ snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

Oh, you mean the Bluebell railway. :-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Talking of urban myths do any of you recall the tale of a Tesco's store who used a 'live' artillary round as a door stop ?

Bit of good free advertising if nothing else ?

Please ! don't call me 'Fox'

Reply to
Dragon Heart

A myth? You just can't believe anything nowadays:

Martin.

Reply to
Martin Wynne

It's been an urban myth for some time. See

or

Reply to
Bruce

There's plenty of places around where for years trainloads of "stuff" were delivered, only for the place to be demolished and a little hut with a hoist left behind.

As for the Stretegic Reserve, it's hardly a secret - old Jeeps and Land Rovers were sold off at auction a few years back - all advertised as Strategic Reserve/"War Stock".

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Strategic Reserver doesn't exists in the legend form.

If it did, the scrap yards would not have been filled with 9Fs.

However there is one - the railway preservation movement.

Reply to
Martin

The Lancaster is now 'Just Jane', and owned by a couple of farming brothers, the Pantons, and resides at East Kirby aviaton centre.

Reply to
Keith J Patrick

My very limited knowledge of bomb disposal suggests the explosive compound would have been removed from the casing before being detonated.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

There were reserve stocks of vehicles (airfield use - fuel tankers etc) held in the caves within the rock of Gibraltar. I know this is fact because I saw them! There was a time in the late 80's when, if you knew the right people, you could get a guided tour through the caves, upper and lower levels, and I was lucky enough to get such a tour whilst there on detachment once. Remember the James Bond film where there was a Nimrod aircraft at the end of the runway in the opening sequence? We spent hours moving it 2 feet left, 1 foot right, 6 inches back until the producers were happy(!), it was then that we got the tour. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

There've always been reserve stocks of vehicles held at depots such as the one (now closed) between Uttoxeter and Derby- twenty or so years ago, these would hold things like Land Rovers and Bedford 3-tonners, but also motorbikes and Morris Travellers. These would appear in auctions periodically- a friend who was active in N Staffs CND bought a Traveller there. These days, I believe Ashchurch fulfils a similar function. Presumably, similar facilities exist for other materials. Brian

Reply to
BH Williams

"Badger" wrote in news:ic6dnQG0Lqv5CW snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

I was there for the first time (with the Air cadets) in 1984 when a Canberra went down on take off, the navy parked a Frigate (we still had a bit of a Navy left back then) over the crash site to keep the Spaniards at bay. Had teh grand tour then, what was a little "fun" was walking on top of the big fuel tanks inside the rock, thousands upon thousands of gallons AVTUR in these tanks thak shock as you walked on them

Went back a few years later with the TA.

Reply to
Chris Wilson