Ratio coach kits

I just gave it a quick try and it seems to work. I only used some thick tinned copper wire as the probes, but it did work. I guess the next step would be to make up something a little more flexible. The only difficulty was holding the trigger on the soldering gun whilst trying to manipulate the stiff probes (:-))

Jeff

Reply to
jeff

How about taking a thick wire from one of the electrodes (making sure that that electrode on the soldering gun is well insulated) and attaching it with a croc clip to the metal of the model. Then you can hold the soldering gun in one hand and work the trigger when you bring the other electrode ont it up to the parts to be soldered. Solder paste would be easier to use than solid solder.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

In article , Alan Dawes writes

Alan,

By a quite amazing bit of synchronicity, I found someone advertising one for sale the same day - have arranged to buy it.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Fair play for giving it a go! You really don't want to be using tinned copper as the probe (or any copper for that matter). You'll end up marking the surface with the tinning - an RSU probe doesn't actually come into contact with any solder in normal use. Carbon rods are the way to go! I don't know much about soldering guns, but I'm wondering if you could just throw away the gun bit of it and use the power pack with a home-made carbon probe and a big earthing clip. If that works and it's controllable, you have yourself a market :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd